Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Forum!

I have 3 simple questions:

1) I have a student visa, can I get married in France with it?;) Does it make it easier? (my partner is british, I am american)

2) What if it expires?

3) Assuming I have no visa at all and i am here as a tourist, can you just arrive in france and get married and solicit a titre de sejour?

Thanks!

Sorry I could not find any information on this specific situation I am in anywhere, by anywhere I mean google. :noidea:

·
Administrator
49,853 Posts
You're probably in the ideal situation to experience some of the variations in interpretation of the laws here in France. In some ways, your situation is fairly clear-cut, but if your local prefecture isn't up to speed on recent changes in the law, you could have a somewhat tricky path to get there.

1) I have a student visa, can I get married in France with it? Does it make it easier? (my partner is british, I am american)
First off, it won't make it any easier. If your partner were French, it probably would, but given that s/he is "other EU" it depends on a number of things. Primary one is probably your partner's "statut" in France (i.e. what is s/he doing here?). If your partner is firmly established here (i.e. job, speaks French, has lived here for a few years), probably only the usual in terms of hassle. (Key one will be to get the appropriate paperwork from the UK embassy/consulate showing eligibility to marry and that the UK will accept the marriage.)

2) What if it expires?
Depends on if the titre de séjour expires before or after you get married. Some mairies will make a big deal out of it. Others won't blink an eye.

3) Assuming I have no visa at all and i am here as a tourist, can you just arrive in france and get married and solicit a titre de sejour?
Technically, yes. They have recently changed the procedure - however, it will depend to a large extent on the "statut" of your partner. (And the willingness of the local mairie to process the paperwork in light of your immigration status.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, well he is "established here"
he works, had lived here for forever and speaks french (well he tries :p )

So, assuming I get married a couple of days before the expiration date of my visa, is it possible to apply for a titre de sejour after the visa expires?

(If they were to be funny about it, would it be best to just renew my student visa and then apply for the titre de sejour based on marriage?)

Thanks for the reply! :D I really appreciate it!

·
Administrator
49,853 Posts
The main thing you'll need to apply for the carte de séjour is the livret de famille. It may take a few days to a week or two to get this after the wedding. But once you have this, I'd put in the application for the carte de séjour "tout de suite." I don't think they'll be too fussed about an application a few days after your visa expires - especially if you can truthfully say that you've just been waiting to get your livret de famille from the mairie.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts