Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am currently in the process of obtaining and inter company transfer work visa for the UK. I had originally been planning on just visiting the UK for a few months to see my fiance (we have been together a year and a half, and got engaged this past June!), and then in December coming back to the US, getting married, and applying for the marriage visa THEN transferring over to the UK branch.

Of course, I enjoy the work visa option a lot more, because I don't have to do the initial groundwork, and the company actually needs me over there, but that being said, I still would like to get married. We were either doing the US in December 2013 or June 2014 in England, but with a work visa already established, are we still able to get married in a reasonable amount of time? Has anyone experienced this process or has any insight on getting a marriage visa after a work visa? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
You can marry in the UK on a work visa. You can remain on the Tier 2 ICT or switch to FLR (M) which is further leave to remain as a spouse. It's probably in your best interest to switch as ICT can no longer leads to settlement so the sooner you switch to FLR, the sooner you're on the path to ILR and eventually citizenship should you desire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can marry in the UK on a work visa. You can remain on the Tier 2 ICT or switch to FLR (M) which is further leave to remain as a spouse. It's probably in your best interest to switch as ICT can no longer leads to settlement so the sooner you switch to FLR, the sooner you're on the path to ILR and eventually citizenship should you desire.

So if I arrive in the UK in the middle of October and get married in June in England, that is possible? There are no time restraints (ie needing to be in the Uk for a certain amount of time on a work visa, etc), and I can go about planning my wedding for June and then switch to the FLR after I am married? Then I no longer would really need my work visa after that point. Is that correct? Thank you so much for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.