Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I want to get married to my Russian Fiancee and settle in the UK, but will have to wait for my savings to be in my account for 6 months. Looks like we’ll have to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa in the meantime. I have seen suggestions on this forum that this is a common route.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it acceptable (in the interests of honesty) to declare you are applying for a Marriage Visitor visa while waiting for the Financial Requirement for a spouse visa conditions to be fulfilled? Or should I not even mention that?

2. I’m worried by the statement on the Marriage Visitor information page:
When you apply you’ll need to provide:
• proof of your future plans for the relationship, eg documents to show where you’ll live

since I'll be living here in the UK until we are ready to apply for the spouse visa.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
#1 Yes. A lot of people do it. You need to submit strong ties to Russia. The need to return home to apply for spouse visa may be one, but you need something else like a job, family responsibility, business interest, property ownership etc.
#2 Just be honest and state that once settlement visa is obtained, you hope to live together at your current address.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
She can't apply for the spouse visa while in the UK on a Marriage Visitor visa.

She must return to her home country to apply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for your help and advice.

I knew that she would have to return to Russia to apply for a spouse visa, but the nature of the bureaucracy elsewhere is sometimes unfathomable, which is why so many people are here asking for your help with clarification. There are often inconsistencies and Catch 22s (or should that be "Catches 22"? :)), which would make a good comedy show rant, but for the people affected, surely contribute to a general feeling of unease, stress and helplessness, for example:-

In one place, it says you “can”, viz:-
You can also supply the following to support your application:
• details of the marriage or civil partnership and proof that you’ve paid money for some of its costs
• proof that you have given notification of marriage to the register office in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

Then if you go to the link to the document list, it says you “must”:
This section sets out additional types of documents that you must submit if you are visiting for one of the following reasons
Visitor (Marriage/Civil Partnership)
Evidence that arrangements have been/are being made to marry or form a civil partnership or give notice of your intention to this during your visit, such as a letter from a registry office.

Of course, "proof that you have given notification of marriage to the register office in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland " is impossible, because you can't do it until you are in the country for 7 days, and you can't get into the country without getting your visa. Mwahahahaha...

It would be good if one could explain these problems to the people who design the .gov website system flow, but I rather fancy they'd take offence, rather than change anything. Before I found this forum, I called the immigration helpline. The nice gentleman who answered had never heard of the new beta online application process, and after asking around his colleagues, neither had his supervisor! In the end they advised me to call the helpline in Russia, which I did at a "cost of £1.37 UK Sterling per minute in addition to your standard network charges". The very nice lady who answered could not answer my questions, so asked me to hold while she asked her supervisor. After around ten minutes of waiting, the phone went dead. Mwahahahaha...

If it wasn't for you guys I'd be an alcoholic. Bless you!

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Yes, visa application process is complicated and guidance notes rather vague, but that's the nature of the beast given the increasing complexity of immigration rules. What we can provide is collective wisdom from those who have done it before, and experience of more recent successes, so that we are aware how these often conflicting requirements can be best met.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Porkypine...

I'm not sure if you were asking of how to give/get notice or not, but incase you are, what we did was:

My fiance went to the registration office and told them of our plans to get married on a certain date. They allowed us to book a provisional date as long as I (SOuth African) appeared in front of the registration office on a certain date. ie: 8 days after i had been in the country already.

Therefore they issue a receipt showing our set intentional date but i had to appear on a certain date to confirm the set date. This receipt can be used as proof of registration. You can even do it over the phone and pay while on the call. they just email you the proof and all the supporting documents.

Thus the immigration office notes the date of appearance and the days in advance that you will need to be there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.