Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with a few questions I have for a Marriage Visitor Visa I intend to submit within the next few days. I am a US citizen engaged to a UK citizen, and we intend to get married in the UK at the start of December. I would only be in the UK for a week, and then return back to work in the US. We plan to have a small wedding in the UK now, and then a much larger celebration in the US in spring 2019 after we are both settled and have saved up enough money for a proper party.

1. The online MVV application asks if you are planning to travel with persons other than spouse/partner/ dependant. I have invited my best friend, my parents, and my brother to the wedding. However, none of them have yet decided if they will be able to come (I’m not particularly bothered as they will all be attending the “Big Party” in a few years). Will complications arise if I say no now, and then one or all of them do decide to travel to the UK for the wedding after I apply? I imagine not, as they would not be travelling on the same itinerary (and likely not even staying at the same accommodation).

2. In terms of proof of income/ that I can support myself financially, I plan to submit: pay stubs (6 mos.), a letter confirming employment/salary on company letterhead, and a bank statement showing my savings account balance for the present month. I make quite a good salary, and have around $7,200 on my most recent savings account statement. I have put that I plan to spend £1,000 during my visit on my visa application, and am only planning to visit for 10 days. I am hesitant to provide bank statements because I have incurred a number of big expenses this year, which I have been easily able to afford, but caused my savings account balance to dip fairly low occasionally (most recently in may/june) before climbing back up to its current level. I have read that not having a steady account balance over a period of 6 months can hurt your application.

3. To prove intent to marry, I plan to submit an email from the Registry Office confirming that I have booked a Civil Ceremony, as well as the receipt/valuation for my engagement ring, and a wedding dress shopping appointment confirmation. Does this seem sufficient? I mention in my cover letter that we plan to have a celebratory dinner after our civil ceremony, and spend the night in a hotel. However, I haven’t booked these yet as my fiance and I have not yet finalized our decision, and I don’t want to make a non-refundable deposit if the visa is refused. I suppose I could make some bookings at places that will refund your deposit now, just in case, but I don’t know if that is necessary.

4. Many of my supporting documents (for bookings) are dated within the past few days. This is because we have only just decided we want to get married in December (but had a decent understanding of the various UK visas available prior) and want to get started with the Visa ASAP. Do you think this could look like a sham marriage somehow?

5. To be safe, we should submit notice of intent to marry by 1 November. How long does it take to secure an appointment for biometrics after submitting the online application (I'm near Boston, MA)? I know the estimated 15 working days processing time starts when the decision making centre receives your application package - would it make sense for me to pay for priority service if i apply online by EOD friday 9/15?

Phew! I'm aware this reads like a long, confused essay. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
#1 No.
#2 6-month bank statement is better. They won't take notice of expenses.
#3 Yes, what you have is sufficient.
#4 You are fine.
#5 Can't tell. But since it's a visit visa processed in NYC, I don't think it will take longer than a few weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Joppa! You've really calmed my anxieties. I have just two more quick questions for you

1. In my online application, I said that no one else would be paying for my stay, but that for accomodation I would be staying at my fiance's family home. His parents have written me an invitation letter saying that I am invited to stay with them and they can provide meals and local transport. It is true that no one is giving me $ for my visit, and I have budgeted $250 for additional meals and emergencies. Should I have said they are contributing towards my stay anyways? Is there anything else other than a invitation letter I should provide?

2. In terms of proving that my relationship is genuine, how much documentation do I need to show? I already plan to include many pictures of my finance and I together (time stamped from FB). I have read I should also provide evidence of messages and call logs, but the volume is so overwhelming after 2.5 yrs together that I don't think there's any way I could provide it all. Is a 1-2 screenshots of text messages per each month of our relationship sufficient?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.