Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

First, a little about my situation: I am in a long distance relationship with a UK (scottish) resident, and have been for ten years. We have seen each other in person twice, I stayed with him for three months back in 2011-2012 and three months from November 2015 to February of this year. I am working on getting my AA and then planning on getting my BA after we get married. We're engaged as of January, and have set a marriage date for May of 2017. I've been in contact with registrars and have been doing some general wedding planning.

I'm just looking for a little guidance. We do not meet financial requirements for a fiancee visa - He will shortly be moved to council housing, living on jobseeker's allowance, and I am a student at a local college. I'm employed as a work study there- So we have decided that a Marriage Visitor Visa would be the best choice for us.

The plan so far is this: I'll be heading over in May and staying for a few weeks to a month, enough time for us to get married and spend some time together. I'll then be returning to the US to continue my education for another two or so years. (I assume this will be enough proof regarding ties to my home country.)

My main worry is any financial requirement. By that point I'm hoping to have a few thousand saved up, and will likely find some place on airbnb to live temporarily, or stay with some of his family members, as it's my understanding that under scottish law, I won't be able to live in his council house.

Will this be enough? Am I missing something? Is there anything else I should keep in mind? Should we wait? It's my first time applying for any sort of visa and I've gone over the government websites so much over the past few years I'm beginning to overthink and worrying myself into a stupor.

Thank you all so much in advance, and I'll happily supply any more details about my situation, if need be.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
You should read the thread started by little-spud........ as their situation is remarkably similar to yours.

All sorts of info on there regarding the financial requirements for moving to the UK :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.