Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently I arrived in the UK with the intention of visiting my fiance for 2months. I have typically only visited the UK for 2 weeks, but due to my work, I have this time off and I am only doing some school and answering some emails during this 2 month break. I have to be back for Christmas, not only to get my new winter classes, but I have to go back to work as well. Furthermore, my fiance is coming back with me to spend Christmas with my family and I.

When I went through border control, they stopped me for 2 hours, double checked my story with fiance, checked through all of my bags, and everything ended up being fine. They had asked when we were getting married, and I had said we were thinking about June in England, but we weren't sure. Now my brother said he won't be able to make it in June (he is in medical school and only has so many days off a year), and this time he has Christmas off. His supervisor wanted June off now, it was a stupid last minute thing, but I really want him here. After I went through the border, I got a special stamp that had some code on it and below it "Leave to Enter for 6 months, no work or recourse to public funds," which I know is on the typical stamp, but he said that I would have trouble coming back in, just because I had gone through that whole process. He said I wouldn't necessarily be denied, but they would wonder what happened. If I get a marriage visa (and explain in my letters why we had the wedding date in June then moved it to december---not to get to the UK earlier but legitimately for family reasons), would that stamp affect anything? Will I have trouble getting a marriage visa because of it?

Also, after we get married, I want to change my name and get a new passport. Do I have to submit my old passport and new one? Or can I just submit the new passport with my new name in it?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hello, recently I arrived in the UK with the intention of visiting my fiance for 2months. I have typically only visited the UK for 2 weeks, but due to my work, I have this time off and I am only doing some school and answering some emails during this 2 month break. I have to be back for Christmas, not only to get my new winter classes, but I have to go back to work as well. Furthermore, my fiance is coming back with me to spend Christmas with my family and I.

When I went through border control, they stopped me for 2 hours, double checked my story with fiance, checked through all of my bags, and everything ended up being fine. They had asked when we were getting married, and I had said we were thinking about June in England, but we weren't sure. Now my brother said he won't be able to make it in June (he is in medical school and only has so many days off a year), and this time he has Christmas off. His supervisor wanted June off now, it was a stupid last minute thing, but I really want him here. After I went through the border, I got a special stamp that had some code on it and below it "Leave to Enter for 6 months, no work or recourse to public funds," which I know is on the typical stamp, but he said that I would have trouble coming back in, just because I had gone through that whole process. He said I wouldn't necessarily be denied, but they would wonder what happened. If I get a marriage visa (and explain in my letters why we had the wedding date in June then moved it to december---not to get to the UK earlier but legitimately for family reasons), would that stamp affect anything? Will I have trouble getting a marriage visa because of it?

Also, after we get married, I want to change my name and get a new passport. Do I have to submit my old passport and new one? Or can I just submit the new passport with my new name in it?
I'm confused as to what you are asking. Are you thinking of getting married in the US while both of you are home for Christmas and then applying for a spouse settlement visa, or are you asking about applying for a fiancée visa in December to return to the UK and get married? I don't believe you can marry while you are here visiting, as you don't have the proper visa in place with that permission. You would have to return to the US and apply (as far as I know).

I don't think the stamp in your passport has anything to do with applying for your visa, but I'm sure there is a record of your interview and information, so you would definitely need to be sure to follow the restrictions and what you told them (no over-staying or marrying here).

It is usually easier to get married and travel with a copy of your marriage certificate and original passport than to have to wait for a new passport. Many wives wait to update the passport until they apply for FLR (further leave to remain) after 2.5 years, or even the ILR (indefinite leave to remain) after 5 years. Whichever, when you apply for the spouse visa, you have to list all passports on your application, but I'm not sure if you have to actually send all of them. I'm sure the mods or more experienced posters will advise you further.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am sorry I did not clarify--instead of getting married in the UK in June (after applying for the fiance visa first, then the spousal visa), we are going to get married in the US in December.

At the point, my husband will return to the UK and I will remain in the US waiting for my response. I am going to be using the WorldBridge service and hopefully expedite the entire process with no problem. We have been together for 1.5 years and have met each other, never been rejected, no criminal record, meet all the financial requirements, are renting a house, have joint credit cards and will soon have joint bank accounts, etc. and everything has been legitimate and genuine. I just wanted to make sure that my passport stamp wouldn't impact my marriage visa because our date will be switched.

I figured that it was just a reference to the conversation I had with the IO, which was all true--the only change is the wedding date for my family members to attend (which I plan to address--or should I just leave it?) I just want to make sure they do not think I am just trying to get over there sooner--of course I want to be with my husband ASAP, but this has truly been an option and my brother had told me it may not work in June it depends, and of course I find out only shortly after.

But anyhow, thank you for your response, and I will just wait on changing my passport for now. That will save me a lot of time and money for expediting purposes. I will make sure to have a copy of my marriage certificate with me at all times. Should I change the other documents I have, like my social security card, bank accounts, etc? Or should I just wait until I change my passport?

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Plans change, it's not a problem but since you were detained and questioned and mentioned a June wedding date it's possible that they made notes and have that on file. Simply include a sentence in your letter of introduction that you had intended to marry in June but due to family schedules you have moved up the date.

Just fyi, you shouldn't be doing any school work while in the UK on a visit visa. It doesn't matter that it's not a UK school.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I will do so.

Interesting... the never mentioned anything about it, but that is good to know anyway. I cannot really do anything about it at the moment--I am graduating in May 2014, and for all intensive purposes I am glad that they did not bring it up if that is the case.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yes, I am sorry I did not clarify--instead of getting married in the UK in June (after applying for the fiance visa first, then the spousal visa), we are going to get married in the US in December.

At the point, my husband will return to the UK and I will remain in the US waiting for my response. I am going to be using the WorldBridge service and hopefully expedite the entire process with no problem. We have been together for 1.5 years and have met each other, never been rejected, no criminal record, meet all the financial requirements, are renting a house, have joint credit cards and will soon have joint bank accounts, etc. and everything has been legitimate and genuine. I just wanted to make sure that my passport stamp wouldn't impact my marriage visa because our date will be switched.

I figured that it was just a reference to the conversation I had with the IO, which was all true--the only change is the wedding date for my family members to attend (which I plan to address--or should I just leave it?) I just want to make sure they do not think I am just trying to get over there sooner--of course I want to be with my husband ASAP, but this has truly been an option and my brother had told me it may not work in June it depends, and of course I find out only shortly after.

But anyhow, thank you for your response, and I will just wait on changing my passport for now. That will save me a lot of time and money for expediting purposes. I will make sure to have a copy of my marriage certificate with me at all times. Should I change the other documents I have, like my social security card, bank accounts, etc? Or should I just wait until I change my passport?
It is actually a better idea to get married in the US first. You only have to apply for the spousal visa so save the extra cost of the fiancée visa. That is what my husband and I did. If you have all your paperwork in order, you can apply right after the wedding and with priority processing, you could be with your husband in the UK in a matter of weeks. Be sure to read through this forum thoroughly so you know what you have to submit. There are a lot of little details that can make very large problems if overlooked.

I applied early in September, and it took 10 business days from the day they received my application in Sheffield until the day I received my passport with my visa. Due to my husband needing to send me a couple of documents, I couldn't apply until he'd returned to Scotland. Otherwise, I would have applied immediately after the wedding in August.

I went ahead and changed my SS card and driver's license prior to leaving. The SS card is the first thing you need to do; at least in my state I needed the documentation from that appointment to change my license. I also changed my name on our bank account which we'd set up in the US prior to the wedding.

You have a pretty straightforward application from what you have said, so as long as you are careful with your documentation, I wouldn't think there would be any issues. Good luck to you both - a Christmas wedding can be very special.

Laurel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.