Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I have been together for almost 4 years now and I someday hope to immigrate to the UK so that I can live with and marry him. However no matter how hard we try we seem to have no hope of acquiring a marriage or spouse visa because of the income requirement (£18,900)

We are only a young couple (22 and 25) and neither of us have ever had a job above minimum wage. We have been trying and trying but no luck getting anywhere near the income requirement. Right now I'm on a temporary student visa studying in the UK trying to spend as much time together as we can in hopes that SOMETHING will pop up allowing us to be together. But its running out soon and all we have managed is a few temporary on and off jobs.

What I'm asking is, does anyone know ANY way around this requirement? Another visa I can apply for that will allow us to stay together?

I have no relatives in the UK and we dont know anyone who makes enough to stand in for the income. (poor family lol). Both of us have depression, mine more severe than my partners but depression isn't enough for benefits that would exclude of from the income requirement.

We are desperate at this point. We dont want to go back to being a "skype family".

·
Super Moderator
18,086 Posts
Only your partner can sponsor you so it wouldn't matter if you had a relative who met the requirement.

Many people are in your situation. The UK partner takes on additional jobs to meet tge requirement. There are no loopholes or work around.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
You could bring him to the US on a spouse visa where the minimum income requirement is less, and you can use co-sponsors such as parents if you don't meet it yourself

Or, migrate to another EU country after getting married (no income requirement for family members under EU free movement rules)

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Tier 2 (work visa) sponsorship if you have a highly-skilled position, but there is a £20,800 minimum income requirement at the very lowest level - Work visas are extremely tough and probably impossible if you are only 22 and only have experience in minimum wage jobs.

The biggest loophole (if you can call it that) is if you have any claim to EU citizenship through descent.

If in the UK on a student visa for a course more than 6+ months in length, and you are employed, you can contribute your own income to the salary requirement if you switch to a spouse visa. So that may be something to consider. Of course it would mean spending money (and paying international fees) on a degree, but it's a possibility.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.