Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our wedding has been approved and registered in the UK and we are now back in the US before return to the UK in the summer to marry. Do we still need a fiance visa for my fiance if the marriage registration has been approved?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Even though I'm a permanent resident? Do I need the spousal return visa?
You need to give more information. Are you a UK citizen? Is your fiance? Where are you going to be residing after the wedding?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to give more information. Are you a UK citizen? Is your fiance? Where are you going to be residing after the wedding?
I am a UK citizen and live in the US where I have a green card already. Do I just change my status when I return?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Marriage and immigration as two seperate entities. Congratulations! You will have to adjust your status in the US and process name changes with Social Security, DMV, HR ... To be on the save side - get at least one certified copy with an apostille.
What kind of Green Card do you currently hold?

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
You do realize that your fiance will need to obtain a marriage visit visa in order to get married in the UK? It's for those who intend to marry in the UK but reside elsewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do realize that your fiance will need to obtain a marriage visit visa in order to get married in the UK? It's for those who intend to marry in the UK but reside elsewhere.
We asked the registry office in the UK when we registered and they said he didn't need a visa... We are confused as other places say you do.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
We asked the registry office in the UK when we registered and they said he didn't need a visa... We are confused as other places say you do.
It's not the job of the registry office to know immigration law. As you and your fiance intend to marry in the UK but not live there, he must obtain a marriage visit visa.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We were told by the UK registry office that he didn't need one as we went through an international registry office. I've seen on other websites that we do... So am confused.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
You dont need one if your getting married in the states and you plan on going back to the UK after the wedding. If your having him google things you have to keep in mind the differnt things google.com and google.Co.uk will give you.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
You dont need one if your getting married in the states and you plan on going back to the UK after the wedding. If your having him google things you have to keep in mind the differnt things google.com and google.Co.uk will give you.
It's a good idea to read through the whole post to get the facts straight. The OP is in fact getting married in the UK and then returning to the US. No one mentioned google.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
Directly from the UKBA website:

You must obtain a visa before you can come to the UK as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership.

The 'visitor for marriage or civil partnership' category is for nationals of countries outside Europe.

Also from the UKBA website:

To come to the UK as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership, you must also be able to show that:

you are 18 or over;
you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months;
you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
you intend to get married or register a civil partnership during your visit;

Here is a link to the UKBA website (the only one with definitive information on visas):

UK Border Agency | Can you come to the UK for marriage or civil partnership?

·
Registered
135 Posts
nyclon said:
It's a good idea to read through the whole post to get the facts straight. The OP is in fact getting married in the UK and then returning to the US. No one mentioned google.
It was just a suggestioned. Sorry should have worded it a bit different. And I was referring to google because the OP said they had read so.many different things online.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Please read the whole thread. OP intends to marry in the UK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts