Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

quick question, is it possible to just arrive in the UK and get married; more specifically I mean not get the whole fiance visa thing.... just marry, not even demand a residency permit or anything. My partner is english and i am american, but live in france.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Is it possible? Yes, especially where a registrar is not particularly up on the immigration rules.

Is it recommended? No ..... since should you wish to move to the UK in the future then the fact that you married without a marriage visa might be taken into consideration and future applications refused.

If you just want to marry in the UK and then leave back to your home country, apply for a marriage visitor visa. Simple and cheap.

Or, marry in France.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You can't marry on a visit visa.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/overview

The rules have recently changed and the chances of you getting past a register without a proper visa are slim.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national

You can't just show up and get married. There is a 7 day residency period and a 28 day notice period before you can marry. If your case is referred to the Home Office, the notice period could be 70 days.

If you want to marry in the UK and return to France then apply for a marriage visit visa.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Or try other European countries without so much red tape, like Denmark (and everyone speaks English) or Gibraltar (no residence requirement, again everything in English).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Where are you going to live?

Much easy to marry in the country where you intend to reside, that could help a lot in the future in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are you going to live?

Much easy to marry in the country where you intend to reside, that could help a lot in the future in certain circumstances.
:noidea: For the moment france but maybe the uk in a few years..... but you're right! I was just trying to exhaust all the possible options, cause a visa for him to go to the US takes 6 months :/ so that's a no no

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.