Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here and I have a question.

Can you register your marriage with the same person but in different times due to some unexpected circumstances in two different states?? Suppose, if someone registered his/her marriage in CA and after a year would want to register his/her marriage with the same person in FL, is that ok ?

·
Administrator
51,544 Posts
I have a marriage certificate from Philly...so can i re-register my marriage to another state withe the same person ?
No. Unless you're in a same-sex marriage, your Philly marriage certificate will be fully recognized anywhere in the US. In a same-sex marriage, it will only be recognized in a state that recognizes same-sex marriages. But, even in a same-sex marriage, you can still file as married when doing your US taxes.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
No, you cannot! The marriage license is sort of written confirmation of the act thus tied to a specific commitment. Why would you want to "register" this in a second state?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, you cannot! The marriage license is sort of written confirmation of the act thus tied to a specific commitment. Why would you want to "register" this in a second state?
Thank you guys for the helpful advice, I highly appreciate it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts