Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just want to ask if my partner and I were to marry, I am currently on a partner settlement visa, we have been together for over 10 years and have recently been told that in the UK there is really no such thing as common law wife and that my rights should something happen to him or visa versa are really naught, we have 2 children together so we want to make sure that we secure their futures and thought about gettin married now.

Would this affect my visa at all, would I need to redo in married name etc??

Thanks for answers

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You can marry as you are here on a long term visa. It's more than just redoing the visa as unmarried partner and spouse are 2 different visas. I think you will then need to apply for FLR (M)-- further leave to remain as a spouse. I don't know if you might be able to wait until your visa renewal.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if we marry now, when I apply for further leave to remain, in about 1.9 years time, I need to apply as spouse not partner?
Or I would have to actually reapply now once married and change my current visa over to married?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Marriage after getting an unmarried partner visa (this March according to your previous post) doesn't require switching (getting another leave). You can just carry on with your current leave until it's due for renewal in 2015, at which point you declare you are married and submit your marriage certificate as part of your relationship evidence. If you want to change into your married name, I suggest you get a new passport in your husband's surname before applying for renewal, then your biometric residence permit (BRP) will be in your new name, matching your passport.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.