Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm a bit confused with how to start out...

It says that for a fiance visa, I need to prove intent to marry, but you can't register your marriage without being on a visa?

My girlfriend is coming over in feb' visa-free, and we want to know if we can register then so that when she goes back, she has some evidence to put into the fiance visa application. I understand that we can't get married unless she is on the fiance visa, but is atleast registering it safe to do?

I apologise for the confusion...

Thank you so much

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
No you shouldn't register whilst she's on a visit visa. It's against immigration law. You just need to prove that you have made plans to marry. You should be able to book a provisional date with the register and have correspondence confirming it. Have you bought rings? Will you have a small gather after? Have you booked a venue? Invitations? Flowers? Dress?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You can book a prospective date with the registrar. You can also show proof of intent to marry with receipts from vendors like florists, cake bakers, the venue where you have your reception, her engagement ring, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
FWIW, I registered in the UK while on a visit. I did a lot of research beforehand and the only thing that was a problem was that I had to be there for 8 days BEFORE I could regsiter (on the 9th day). My trip was 7 days so I extended it to 10, went to the register on the 9th day of my trip (luckily a Friday).

My registration trip didn't have a visa; I went over as I normally do (make sure there's a return ticket!!!) and it wasn't a problem.

My marriage trip did require a marriage visa; it was NOT a fiance visa. The marriage visa entitled me to get married and then leave the country. Please note that your marriage has to be registered and displayed for +/- 16 days (I think).

I just applied for a spouse visa so I can *finally* live with my husband. Over two years of long distance!

There were no questions about invitations or anything like that; my marriage visa had a return ticket to the States (had a steady job and my boss wrote that I would return to work). However, when I got to the border the agent asked me about invitations and anything like that. We had a simple thing at the register's office with two witnesses so there wasn't anything. No need to explain all the details of your marriage but it's important to be honest.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Whether you can register or not, it's against the immigration rules to give notice as a general visitor. There is nothing under the marriage law that you cannot, and that's all that the register office staff are interested in, as they aren't immigration officers applying immigration rules.
While you had no adverse experience subsequently, it's always best to stay on the right side of the immigration law.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow Joppa, I didn't know that!

Now it's making me think... Are they going to say that my marriage to my husband is invalid?? I just submitted my visa and now I'm scared that they're going to deny it!!

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
No, don't worry. But it would have been nice to include a passage in your covering letter about giving notice as a general visitor, that you didn't know and regret it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the info Joppa. I honestly had no idea that I wasn't allowed. I even started my marriage visa process through an agency in NYC before I even registered under the assumption that I was allowed to do so. I definitely would have put it in my cover letter otherwise.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
It's too late now. It's not a deal breaker so sit tight and hope for the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.