Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys,

I have a question here? and cant find any answer anywhere. So I hope anyone of you has some info in this specific case..

I am Russian citizen, living in Denmark 2.5 years. I was granded my permit after getting married to a Danish woman. We just got divorced and soon I ll marry again. My wife is French, so we have 2 options where to marry. In Denmark we both have the right to do so, its easy and painless, no need to translate and legalize tons of papers.
In France it takes longer with publicacion de bains + to finish all of my paperwork I ll have to go to Russia, where I dont live any longer. So we both prefer marriage here, in Copenhagen.

But, it seems a little more complicated. Since we both want to move together in France after getting married and our honeymoon, I require a visa for a long stay. I can get it in Dk or in RU, its logical. To get it in either place I ll need to present
a proof of the marriage: livret de famille (French family record book), complete copy of the French marriage certificate or record on the consular register of births, marriages and deaths of the foreign certificate
so basically, I ll need to legalize it. The certificate will be issued in French and will have the apostille stamp on it. I ll apply in Copenhagen, where I live at the moment. Should work out, but its not clear to me yet.

Does anyone have some info about this topic? how long does it take - this is the main thing, since we need to plan a bit our honeymoon. What do other expats do, when they marry a French citizen outside of France?

Thanks a lot for the help ;)

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
Yup, if you marry a French national, you will need to have the marriage registered with the French authorities, including on the birth record of your French spouse. So yes, you have to publish the banns through the French Consulate in Denmark prior to the marriage, and then after the marriage, you have to provide them with the necessary paperwork to request a livret de famille through the consulate in Denmark. (Must be done through the consulate in the place where the marriage took place.)

The process can take a few weeks to a few months. It depends to some extent on where your French spouse was born and how efficient the local town hall there is in registering such things and getting back to the consulate.

Once you have the livret de famille in hand, you should be able to apply for your visa, and that should only take a few days to maybe a week or two at most.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, Bev! Thanks a lot for the answer. My question to this would be - what if marriage was already conducted in Denmark? Danish authorities have no idea about that, so will French just decline this marriage and say it was illegal? Sounds ridicolous to me ...

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
No, they won't reject the marriage. But you still have to go through the process of applying for the French livret de famille before they'll process the spouse visa. If you didn't do the publication of the banns thing, they'll make you "pay" for that one way or another - but it will be an administrative hassle, nothing more.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts