Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning/afternoon,

Due to recent changes to UK marriage requirements, we have decided to get legally married next Thursday in the US, rather than in the UK on a fiancee visa as we originally planned. The marriage will be performed with no ceremony by a Justice of the Peace in my home town.

We do still have a wedding ("wedding") planned in the UK for our families in September, though it will no longer be a legal procedure. We've spent about £20k.

I will be applying for a spouse visa at the end of May, with the intent to emigrate to the UK in mid-August. We meet all of the requirements for immigration.

My questions:

1) How would I best show proof of our marriage in my visa application supporting documents, since we will not have wedding photos, invitations, or the like? Any receipts from vendors, the venue, et cetera will be for our "celebration" in September. The only documentation I will have of our marital status will be the marriage certificate itself and any copies, and perhaps an email confirmation from the Justice of the Peace who is officiating.

2) Does a strictly legal US wedding with no pomp or ceremony have any less validity to the UK Home Office?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just get someone to snap your photo on that day. I used to work in a government office and walked past people having a civil ceremony in the atrium of my building. There were many times I stopped and offered to take pictures for them so everyone could be in the photo together with the officiate.

Include the casual photos (we just had the clerk take our photo when we gave notice in her office), the marriage certificate and include a note explaining your situation. You can include receipts for your planned celebration in September.

You should be fine, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Good morning/afternoon,

Due to recent changes to UK marriage requirements, we have decided to get legally married next Thursday in the US, rather than in the UK on a fiancee visa as we originally planned. The marriage will be performed with no ceremony by a Justice of the Peace in my home town.

We do still have a wedding ("wedding") planned in the UK for our families in September, though it will no longer be a legal procedure. We've spent about £20k.

I will be applying for a spouse visa at the end of May, with the intent to emigrate to the UK in mid-August. We meet all of the requirements for immigration.

My questions:

1) How would I best show proof of our marriage in my visa application supporting documents, since we will not have wedding photos, invitations, or the like? Any receipts from vendors, the venue, et cetera will be for our "celebration" in September. The only documentation I will have of our marital status will be the marriage certificate itself and any copies, and perhaps an email confirmation from the Justice of the Peace who is officiating.
Your marriage certificate and a couple of photos. They don't have to be formal. Remember you will also need show proof of your pre-wedding relationship in the form of communication logs, photos and itineraries or tickets for trips together or to visit each other.

2) Does a strictly legal US wedding with no pomp or ceremony have any less validity to the UK Home Office?
They are only concerned that you are legally married and county clerk or justice of the peace weddings are perfectly legal. There is no need to explain and there is no need to include any information regarding your celebration because it is just that. The official wedding is the only thing that concerns them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, that is helpful. I'll make certain we have photos with the officiant and at the town clerk's office together. We do have substantial documentation for the legitimacy of our relationship.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thank you, that is helpful. I'll make certain we have photos with the officiant and at the town clerk's office together. We do have substantial documentation for the legitimacy of our relationship.
I had my wedding all planned, invitations sent, and when my then fiance arrived, he hadn't been able to obtain the official copy of his divorce papers prior to leaving. We had no option but to go through with the "ceremony" with friends and family. We obtained the necessary form and did a private ceremony at the town hall with 2 friends as witnesses 10 days later. I amended my application and explained what had happened. I included our marriage certificate and a few photos from both ceremonies. I received my visa 10 days after they received my application. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.