Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why you have to submit marriage certificates of the grandparent and parent through who you are applying?

We had these certificates which then was lost by my mother in law :mad::mad::mad:
We are having a dreadful time with South African Home Affairs to get reprints - they claim this can take up to 8 weeks and our application is in 2 weeks!!

We have the original hand written birth certificate of my husband's grandfather (who was married to a SA woman so he's the only link) and we have the birth certificate of my husband's mother and of course all of my husband's required documents.

Why do they want the marriage certificates as this surely has no impact as the lineage is clearly shown from Grandfather to mother to son in the birth certificates.

I am not sure what to do about this dilemma?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
As you can derive your descent through illegitimate line, marriage certificate isn't always required. You can use it to show descent, but you may substitute with further birth certificates, adoption certificate etc. Marriage certificates are often required when deriving your descent through the female line, to evidence the change of surname, e.g. to show that your mother, Miss Mary Smith on her birth certificate, is the same person as Mrs Mary Brown on your birth certificate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joppa, thanks for that. So what you are saying is in our case the marriage certificate is required since my mother in law's surname changed when she got married and had my husband and THAT is where the problem essentially lies. Oh dear......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.