Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. We are going to apply for a spouse visa in July. We got married in the Philippines and the marriage certificate is in English. My question is does it have to be original and authenticated?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
An original marriage certificate would include a copy obtained directly from the issuing authority (the civil registration office keeps the actual original). As a matter of course, they will stamp and sign it when you request a copy, so for all intents and purposes, it is "original" :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes, it does need to be the original certificate you received when you got married.

clever-octopus, the certificate supplied is different for different countries. In the US, the normal procedure is to be given a certified copy of the original, printed on official stationary of the local office and stamped with a raised seal.

My marriage three weeks ago here in the UK, we prepaid for five certificates. Each one was written out by hand on an official document. The information was recorded into the actual book record, that is where we signed (they told us the books go back to 1839 in this particular office), our originals are all made by hand. We didn't sign them, only the registrar. They are what they consider an original marriage certificate here.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Yes, but as I understand it, you can have the copy of the document you signed to get married, but it's not valuable by itself. What you need is the certified document available by request from the NSO, who authorises the document from the local civil registry.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes, I was just pointing out that an "official" document is different based on the country generating it. In the UK the official certificate isn't the document signed by the couple.

I really have no idea what document is provided in the Philippines.

Just didn't want the OP confused that they needed to go and get a stamped copy. The document they currently have may be the correct one.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
You can't use emailed certificate. It must be original - produced and certified by the Philippine authorities.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Joppa. Will have it mailed to the UAE then. Will keep give an update on this forum soon as we will apply once I get my June pay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.