Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We need to register our marriage in Berlin. Our marriage is registered in Finland. The marriage certificate is not apostilled and it is in English and Finnish.

I have few questions which are given below.
1) From where we can apostilled our marriage certificate?.
2) Do we need to get official German translation of marriage certificate before apostilled or these two (apostilled & official German translation) can be done at the same place?

Looking for advice.

regards,
eva

·
Super Moderator
1,863 Posts
Hi,

We need to register our marriage in Berlin. Our marriage is registered in Finland. The marriage certificate is not apostilled and it is in English and Finnish.

I have few questions which are given below.
1) From where we can apostilled our marriage certificate?.
2) Do we need to get official German translation of marriage certificate before apostilled or these two (apostilled & official German translation) can be done at the same place?

Looking for advice.

regards,
eva
A quick search for 'Apostille Finland' came up with this:

https://www.maistraatti.fi/en/Services/notary_public/Apostille/

So it appears that you need to contact your local register office in Finland?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick search for 'Apostille Finland' came up with this:

So it appears that you need to contact your local register office in Finland?
Thanks lot for your reply ALKB. I already contacted the local register office in Finland. One more quick question. Do i need to Apostille the german translated copy as well or only apostille of the original marriage certificate is enough for German spouse permit?

regards,
eva

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need to get the apostille in Finland, then let a licensed translator (ideally in Germany) translate the document and put a stamp on the translation. German authorities are very strict with their "German is the only official language here" policy. So even if they can understand it, they still insist on an official translation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to get the apostille in Finland, then let a licensed translator (ideally in Germany) translate the document and put a stamp on the translation. German authorities are very strict with their "German is the only official language here" policy. So even if they can understand it, they still insist on an official translation.

Thanks for the information. We apostilled the original documents and now translated copy has to be apostille.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts