Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can someone clarify a couple of things about giving notice and marriage arrangements for fiance visa? I must admit, we researched the requirements in December and I have only just seen that changes have been made and perhaps we are not as well informed as we thought and we are trying to educate ourselves to a sufficient level now.

Can I book the marriage ceremony at the designated registry office for marriage between British and non-EU nationals and give the receipt of payment and email confirmation as evidence? My fiance will hopefully be coming over in August (pending successful application being made next moth) and I was thinking of booking for the end of November, which clears over 77 days.

On that note, is it possible to book to give notice in September ahead of arrival? I have read the gov webpage and have got a bit confused on requirements for booking to give notice - does the person have to be in the country before you can book to give notice?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
I don't think you can book to give notice. What previously served as adequate evidence of an impending marriage was booking a provisional wedding date. However, you're unlikely to be able to get a register to book even a provisional date. With the new rule they are reluctant to book without seeing the non-EU citizen's visa. Both parties have to be in the UK to give notice as there is a 7 day residency period which must be fulfilled.

You'll have to find other ways to show that you intend to marry. Receipts for deposits or provisional bookings for any other normal wedding related things like dress, rings, flowers, venue, etc.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Please can someone clarify a couple of things about giving notice and marriage arrangements for fiance visa? I must admit, we researched the requirements in December and I have only just seen that changes have been made and perhaps we are not as well informed as we thought and we are trying to educate ourselves to a sufficient level now.

Can I book the marriage ceremony at the designated registry office for marriage between British and non-EU nationals and give the receipt of payment and email confirmation as evidence? My fiance will hopefully be coming over in August (pending successful application being made next moth) and I was thinking of booking for the end of November, which clears over 77 days.

On that note, is it possible to book to give notice in September ahead of arrival? I have read the gov webpage and have got a bit confused on requirements for booking to give notice - does the person have to be in the country before you can book to give notice?
You cannot give Notice until both people are in the UK and then the Registrar will require evidence that you are both free and your Fiancee has the correct Authorisation to be in the Country. The Registrar requires at least 28 days notice of Marriage which can be extended to 70 days if the Home Office have to Approve.
Some Designated Register Office's do make provisional Bookings for a non-returnable fee, although the HO have issued recent directives against this practice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to try to make a provisional booking tomorrow when the office is open. I am happy with a non-refundable fee - anything to get the booking if possible!

I do have emails from 30th November 2014 between myself and the registry office confirming they had availability for the date we wanted and acknowledgement of our exact situation re. visa, with a contact number to book; I can always include those as evidence of intention if I can't get a booking (and I should have just booked then before the rules changed!).

Regarding other ways of showing intent - I am a bit stuck here as we do not want a big wedding at all, we plan on just my Mother and one other person as witnesses. There will be no wedding dress, no cake, no photographer and no flowers. I can do a receipt for wedding rings - one at £120 and one at £40.

If I can get the booking tomorrow then hopefully the booking and wedding rings will be enough. If the booking cannot be done I will look into putting a deposit on a cake and booking a hotel for a meal/ stay after the proposed wedding date and if it will help, a deposit on a wedding dress.

Thank you, Nyclon and Skyf for the information. It seems I need to do my research afresh over the weekend - good job it's three weeks before application time!

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
You don't have to have elaborate plans but you do need to show that you have made some plans for a wedding. Wedding rings are good. Booking a meal for after would also be good You don't have to go overboard.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I will have to try to make a provisional booking tomorrow when the office is open. I am happy with a non-refundable fee - anything to get the booking if possible!

I do have emails from 30th November 2014 between myself and the registry office confirming they had availability for the date we wanted and acknowledgement of our exact situation re. visa, with a contact number to book; I can always include those as evidence of intention if I can't get a booking (and I should have just booked then before the rules changed!).

Regarding other ways of showing intent - I am a bit stuck here as we do not want a big wedding at all, we plan on just my Mother and one other person as witnesses. There will be no wedding dress, no cake, no photographer and no flowers. I can do a receipt for wedding rings - one at £120 and one at £40.

If I can get the booking tomorrow then hopefully the booking and wedding rings will be enough. If the booking cannot be done I will look into putting a deposit on a cake and booking a hotel for a meal/ stay after the proposed wedding date and if it will help, a deposit on a wedding dress.

Thank you, Nyclon and Skyf for the information. It seems I need to do my research afresh over the weekend - good job it's three weeks before application time!
If you can get a Register Office booking , the fee is about £35.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can get a Register Office booking , the fee is about £35.
I had a really positive experience with the Register Office; they made a provisional booking for me and I made a non-refundable payment of £50. They are sending a receipt for payment and a letter will be sent first class, stating both of our names and the date of the provisional booking and also details about giving notice for fiancé visa.

I will now book a meal somewhere and get confirmation of that and hopefully that will suffice for the application.

Thank you very much for your assistance - hopefully the next question I ask will be a checklist of everything that we have compiled for application!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I had a really positive experience with the Register Office; they made a provisional booking for me and I made a non-refundable payment of £50. They are sending a receipt for payment and a letter will be sent first class, stating both of our names and the date of the provisional booking and also details about giving notice for fiancé visa.

I will now book a meal somewhere and get confirmation of that and hopefully that will suffice for the application.

Thank you very much for your assistance - hopefully the next question I ask will be a checklist of everything that we have compiled for application!
Well done. Sorry the fee was more than I quoted. Hope you have allowed enough time for the application processing! We booked in February for a September Ceremony. The online application was made on 4th April. We allowed time for my Fiancee to give a full month's notice at work and complete arrangements for her apartment.
Not sure you now require a meal booking? If else it will a belt and braces exercise!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.