Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to get married with my french bf in las vegas, but we need to sign the marriage agreement before the marriage. which marriage law do we apply to ? Nevada or France ? can we write financial arrangement in case of divorce ? i don't speak french very well and i have my career here in U.S. so i think if i move to france for him, it will have negative affect to my career. i just would like to apply some terms concerning about this to protect myself . he just start his business in france , and he want " totally independent on finance" with me.

·
Administrator
51,902 Posts
If you're getting married in Nevada then your "marriage agreement" is based on Nevada law. You can draw up what you want in terms of a "prenup" but when you move to France, whatever you have will be interpreted in terms of one of the French marital regimes (which means that any "fine points" you add to your agreement may most likely be disregarded).

It is also possible to change your regime once you're in France (as long as you have been married for at least 2 years) - though that can be an expensive proposition.

Because a marital regime other than the "default" one has to be drawn up by a French notaire, I suspect you can't opt for a French regime if you're getting married in the US. But, it might be worthwhile to ask at the French consulate. That would mean that your preferred regime could be included on your livret de famille when you apply for that after your Nevada wedding. (Might require a pre-nuptual trip to France to consult with a notaire, but what the hey!)

It sounds like what you want is the regime of "separation de biens" - basically, what's yours is yours and what is his is his - and that should be possible to do in Nevada in the form of a pre-nup. Just be sure to check with the consulate ahead of time to see if that can be included in your livret de famille when you apply for it. (Will save LOADS of complications later on.)

As for the "negative effects" on your career of moving to France, it kind of depends on what line of work you're in, how well you speak French and how quickly you can adapt to the French working environment. There was just recently a report here on the television about French employees being the most "discouraged" in Europe, and a big factor in this was the lack of career growth in most French companies. It's a very different job market here, but if you can adapt to it, you may find you prefer it to the way things work in the US.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.