Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I wonder if you can help me on this. I had civil partnerhship in london and then later my partner and I dissolved it about 3 years ago. Also I got my british nationality through civil partnership in 2013. Now I'm about to get straight marriage in a month time from back home. It is partially because I want to get marry as well as I always wanted to have family/children. So I will have to sponsor my new wife after marriage to come and live with me in denmark. (I'm living in denmark for last 5 months. I've british nationality). But I'm getting very worried now as they may reject her visa because I had civil partnership before in UK. what are your thoughts please? Any ideas please? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,865 Posts
Hi - I wonder if you can help me on this. I had civil partnerhship in london and then later my partner and I dissolved it about 3 years ago. Also I got my british nationality through civil partnership in 2013. Now I'm about to get straight marriage in a month time from back home. It is partially because I want to get marry as well as I always wanted to have family/children. So I will have to sponsor my new wife after marriage to come and live with me in denmark. (I'm living in denmark for last 5 months. I've british nationality). But I'm getting very worried now as they may reject her visa because I had civil partnership before in UK. what are your thoughts please? Any ideas please? Thanks
Are you exercising EU treaty rights?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yea I'm exercising EU treaty rights. And I've been living here for 5 months now.

so which visa will I apply for my wife and what documents requires for that? Do I need to send divorce certificate as well?

·
Administrator
50,466 Posts
What is your fiancée's nationality?

If she's a non-EU national who would require an actual Schengen visa to come to Denmark as a tourist, then she'll need to get a Schengen (i.e. short-stay - 90 day) visa. If she is from a country that only needs a "stamp in the passport" Schengen visa to visit, then that's how you do it.

This assumes that you are getting married outside of Denmark and then she will join you in Denmark. On arrival, she will apply for a residence permit - probably need your i.d., evidence of British nationality, and perhaps some indication of what you're doing in Denmark and that you are settled there.

But no need to raise the issue of the civil partnership until and unless someone asks you for the information.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,466 Posts
What is your fiancée's nationality?

If she's a non-EU national who would require an actual Schengen visa to come to Denmark as a tourist, then she'll need to get a Schengen (i.e. short-stay - 90 day) visa. If she is from a country that only needs a "stamp in the passport" Schengen visa to visit, then that's how you do it.

This assumes that you are getting married outside of Denmark and then she will join you in Denmark. On arrival, she will apply for a residence permit - probably need your i.d., evidence of British nationality, and perhaps some indication of what you're doing in Denmark and that you are settled there.

But no need to raise the issue of the civil partnership until and unless someone asks you for the information.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bev Thanks for the informations. She's Non-Eu national and she needs schengen visa to come to denmark. So I will send our marriage certificate as proof of our marraige/relationship. That's a relief to know that. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'm just worried in case If they ask for cp certificate would that cause any problems as civil partnership don't recognise in my home country as it's muslim country. I know I'm applying schengen visa but still if they ask for further documents about my previous civil partnership i'm worried about that.

·
Administrator
50,466 Posts
Normally, they only ask about "prior relationships" when it comes to getting married. And even then, it's a matter of a celebacy certificate, which is something from your home government (usually through the consulate) that says that, as far as they are concerned you are eligible to marry. If your home government doesn't recognize a CP, then as far as they are concerned, you ARE eligible to marry and that's that.

But for her visa or residence permit, it would only be your marriage certificate they'd be interested in.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts