Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im new here in egypt. Life here is kind of a shock. But im getting used to it. Cant stand the dirt, pollution and people ripping me off each time. In any case im settling in. Im looking to buy some marmite. Iv looked everywhere, spinneys etc and couldnt find anything. Miss it so much! :(

Does any1 know where its available.
P.s marmite is also knows as Vegemite. :)

Fatima

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hi,

Cant stand the dirt, pollution and people ripping me off each time.

Fatima
Ahlan bik fi Misr :D

All this dirt get's blown in from the Sahara - I know Maiden told me so ;)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
yeah, right, blame it on the desert.

It is acutally the caireens and their polluting vehicles that habits that are to be blamed for the dirt and pollution.

Anyways, I see marmite everywhere these days!. There must have been a new stock of marmite coming into the country. Yuk...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I found Carrefour started to sell Marmite 2 weeks ago here in Alex's. Was like finding gold!

And cause I 'worried' it would be the only time I see it I stocked up on it! lol. Sounds silly I know but most would understand how things suddenly vanish from shop shelves and don't restock for ages or at all!

·
Banned
142 Posts
What is Marmite ? Is it MARAMIYA called in Arabic where you pick it in the mountains here in Lebanon? We boil the Maramiya and drink it when we have a stomach ache ? Is that it?

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Marmite is dark brown-coloured savoury spread made from the yeast that is a by-product of the brewing industry. It has a very strong, slightly salty flavour. It is definitely a love it or hate it type of food.
It comes in small (2-5 inches high) bulb-shaped glass jars with a distinctive yellow lid. It even comes in squeezable bottles now
Children in Britain are generally fed it from the time they are weaned, and most never grow out of it. It has a high B-vitamin content, as well as riboflavin and niacin—and as such is very healthy. (The vitamin-B complex helps prevent anaemia
I like mine spread on toast, and even better spread on toast then beans on top

All my children hate it lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cheese 'n' Marmite toasties are awesome toooo! :love:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you have ideas where can I found this in Alex ? I like to try it for my daughter. Looks interesting. Also heard some German friends they are giving malt drink (like non alcoholic beer) to kids. Anyone has idea about this ?

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Do you have ideas where can I found this in Alex ? I like to try it for my daughter. Looks interesting. Also heard some German friends they are giving malt drink (like non alcoholic beer) to kids. Anyone has idea about this ?

Try... Carrefour and Alpha When you use marmite you only need a tiny piece and spread it thinly if you don't do this it will be too strong and you wont enjoy it. Toast some bread, spread with butter then a little bit of marmite... delicious and so full of goodness
Sorry I don't know the malt drink, although we British drink a hot drink called Ovaltine which is malt and is available in Carrefour and Alpha. We drink this before bed as it is supposed to help you relax and sleep.

Maiden

·
Registered
468 Posts
Alfa market gone from the plaza got replaced with a 'Express Carrefour'. Marmite in both of the Carrefour's around where you would find the honey, jams and peanut butter! In little black bulb like jars with yellow lids!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts