Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father will e moving out to Spain soon an we have been trying to think what to sell, so what isn't readily available to you in Spain that you would jump at the chance to buy?! The plan is to travel back to the uk once a month to buy stock. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Major flaw in your plan. Places like Iceland, Aldi and Lidl supermarkets already do that. On a more local level, Carrefour supermarkets have a wide range of international foods. Even the Mercadona and Vidal chains can supply some of the needs.

You seriously need to rethink your plan. The transport cost on top of the wholesale price, overhead cost and margin......what price would you expect to sell a can of heinz beans at? what margin does it need to cover costs.... etc.. etc.. etc..?

Importing/selling things .... not a good idea.... you have to invest to get the goods, pay the frieght, duty, shipping from port to point of sale.

Honest advice, find something where you are investing time and effort, rather than holding"costly" stock.

·
Administrator
36,438 Posts
Major flaw in your plan. Places like Iceland, Aldi and Lidl supermarkets already do that. On a more local level, Carrefour supermarkets have a wide range of international foods. Even the Mercadona and Vidal chains can supply some of the needs.

You seriously need to rethink your plan. The transport cost on top of the wholesale price, overhead cost and margin......what price would you expect to sell a can of heinz beans at? what margin does it need to cover costs.... etc.. etc.. etc..?

Importing/selling things .... not a good idea.... you have to invest to get the goods, pay the frieght, duty, shipping from port to point of sale.

Honest advice, find something where you are investing time and effort, rather than holding"costly" stock.
exactly- I can't think of anything now that I can't get easily in Spain - except UK branded clothes (especially 'larger' sizes that don't look like they are for grannies) - & now that companies like M&S deliver to Spain for a small charge even that is simple enough

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'd say its the other way round for me!!! I miss a lot of Mercadonas products and when I visit Spain I take a suit case to fill up with face cream, body spray, deodorant, washing powder, dishwasher tablets, chocolate croissants, chewing gum............. all cheaper and nicer than the UK

As xabiachica says, with Iceland, M&S, Dunnes, Carrefour and chinese shops, theres nothing I can think of that cant be bought

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,438 Posts
I'd say its the other way round for me!!! I miss a lot of Mercadonas products and when I visit Spain I take a suit case to fill up with face cream, body spray, deodorant, washing powder, dishwasher tablets, chocolate croissants, chewing gum............. all cheaper and nicer than the UK

As xabiachica says, with Iceland, M&S, Dunnes, Carrefour and chinese shops, theres nothing I cant think of that cant be bought

Jo xxx
tbh - even before we had an Iceland here - we don't have the others except the chinese bazaars - I could still get anything I wanted if I was prepared to pay a premium for it - now these things still cost more than in the UK, but not so much more that I won't pay it

the OP would presumably only be able to purhase in smallish quantities,as dunmovin says, so the sale price would almost certainly be more than the likes of Iceland or a Spanish supermarket will charge

but as far as most things are concerned there's pretty much always a good Spanish alternative, in any case - the only things I can think of where there aren't are some brands of English teabags & gravy granules.............. both of which I for one can manage quite easily without

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Spain is a european country with good transport links and not entirely without good business people. If there is anyhting you can't get here, you can get it easily enough through other channels or find a good or sometimes better native substitute.
I'm not sure why people have focused on food and clothes though, perhaps because they're more everyday purchases. You can buy English books on Amazon UK or Amazon Spain for example. Electrical goods are more expensive here, but it often makes more sense to buy here because of repairs, guarantees etc and differences in electrical supplies...
You could think about providing a decent telephone service here which is something we need (not sure it's better in the UK or not) or trying countries that are still more isolated - Nepal, Somalia...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Decent telephone service.....food for thought, however Movistar completely have the monopoly on that one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
El Hierro, we can get next to Bug*er all here:)

But fortunately there are only five English...........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think most of you missed the point, I don't really need business advice as he has been a market trader for 8 years. It's basically just a question of what would you buy. The comment on larger size women's clothes was good. I don't know what the whole Heinz beans comment was about hardly going to sell those! What sells on Spanish markets? ;) x

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I think most of you missed the point, I don't really need business advice as he has been a market trader for 8 years. It's basically just a question of what would you buy. The comment on larger size women's clothes was good. I don't know what the whole Heinz beans comment was about hardly going to sell those! What sells on Spanish markets? ;) x
Usually clothes - masses of them (even larger sizes, altho not the pricey stylish ones), cheeses, nuts, local vegetables, jewellery....... pretty much the same things that sell in UK markets. oh, and theres usually a few "lookie lookie" men selling cds, watches and handbags - altho they're illegal and do a runner if the guardia are around lol!!

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,438 Posts
the same things as sell on English markets

fresh fruit & veg & other fresh food

drieds fruits, sweets

cheap cleaning stuff, cheap clothes, toys all the usual tat

it really isn't so very different

I think you're missing the point really - there really isn't anything from the UK that we can't get here - nothing you'd need to import to sell on a market

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
What I really miss is good second-hand clothes. I take an empty suitcase whenever I go to the UK and raid the charity shops, which we don't have in my neck of the woods (nobody throws anything out, they just hand them on to relatives).

·
Administrator
36,438 Posts
What I really miss is good second-hand clothes. I take an empty suitcase whenever I go to the UK and raid the charity shops, which we don't have in my neck of the woods (nobody throws anything out, they just hand them on to relatives).
we have several charity shops here, even selling designer clothes!!

but then it's a more expat area than where you live - & to be thinking of importing stuff from the UK, the OP must be thinking of 'brit bubble' expat areas...........

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
My father will e moving out to Spain soon an we have been trying to think what to sell, so what isn't readily available to you in Spain that you would jump at the chance to buy?! The plan is to travel back to the uk once a month to buy stock. Let me know your thoughts.
Who's missed the point?

You asked
"what isn't readily available to you in Spain that you would jump at the chance to buy?"
And between us we've said
Nothing much
What some people miss is food and that's already covered by the supermarkets that are here.
Spanish/ UK immigrants already here have the market covered.

Some people mentioned UK branded clothes, which I personally don't miss and I've also seen that Peacocks is opening near me later on in the month for example and M&S is in some parts of Spain. (M&S actually opened here about 10 years ago, did a really bad job of it and closed down all their overseas operations, so even the biggies can get it wrong)

Then someone mentioned second hand clothes which I think is slowly becoming popular here, but it's gaining popularity due to more people not having enough money, not to being trendy and innovating so I think it'd be difficult to get fat off of it.

Basically I think you've got your answer several times over!

PS If you're thinking of a street market stall, please be aware that you'd need a license and I believe there is fierce competition for them. You'd need to apply well ahead of time and you need to go to your local Town Hall to find out how to apply.

Tell us what you decide to do!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Some people mentioned UK branded clothes, which I personally don't miss and I've also seen that Peacocks is opening near me later on in the month for example and M&S is in some parts of Spain. (M&S actually opened here about 10 years ago, did a really bad job of it and closed down all their overseas operations, so even the biggies can get it wrong)
..... I believe theres even a Primark in Malaga!!! I was "over the moon" when I first arrived in Spain to see that C&A were still alive and kicking! Then of course, for us on the south coast, theres good ole Gib, which has all the UK shops BHS, Dot Perkins, Peacocks, Monsoon..........

But mainly, I did my clothes shopping in the Chinese shops - cheap and cheerful, like me lol!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Who's missed the point?

You asked
"what isn't readily available to you in Spain that you would jump at the chance to buy?"
And between us we've said
Nothing much
What some people miss is food and that's already covered by the supermarkets that are here.
Spanish/ UK immigrants already here have the market covered.

Then someone mentioned second hand clothes which I think is slowly becoming popular here, but it's gaining popularity due to more people not having enough money, not to being trendy and innovating so I think it'd be difficult to get fat off of it.

Basically I think you've got your answer several times over!

PS If you're thinking of a street market stall, please be aware that you'd need a license and I believe there is fierce competition for them. You'd need to apply well ahead of time and you need to go to your local Town Hall to find out how to apply.

Tell us what you decide to do!
And if you are going to do the weekly markets which are a different town each day, you will probably need a licence for each town's market. Some areas have a Brits carboot cum market which, strangely enough are also attracting some Spanish.

Second hand furniture is often hard to find because, as aomebody has already said, the Spanish don't throw anything away.

Also hard to find are decent bras for the fuller figure (sizes E, F, G and upwards) which, have to be bought from Bravissimo.

·
Administrator
36,438 Posts
..... I believe theres even a Primark in Malaga!!! I was "over the moon" when I first arrived in Spain to see that C&A were still alive and kicking! Then of course, for us on the south coast, theres good ole Gib, which has all the UK shops BHS, Dot Perkins, Peacocks, Monsoon..........

But mainly, I did my clothes shopping in the Chinese shops - cheap and cheerful, like me lol!!!

Jo xxx
actually yes - we have a C&A not far from us too - I'd forgotten them!! Not sure why since most of our clothes come from there.............

truly though - for us 'larger ladies' that's pretty much all there is & not much choice either - unless we go to small 'boutiques' & pay a fortune for flouncy flowery stuff......... which really isn't what I want to wear

as I said though - online shopping has made that problem go away :)

·
Administrator
36,438 Posts
And if you are going to do the weekly markets which are a different town each day, you will probably need a licence for each town's market. Some areas have a Brits carboot cum market which, strangely enough are also attracting some Spanish.

Second hand furniture is often hard to find because, as aomebody has already said, the Spanish don't throw anything away.

Also hard to find are decent bras for the fuller figure (sizes E, F, G and upwards) which, have to be bought from Bravissimo.
M&S online ;)

pretty, comfy bras which don't cost 80€ a go like they do in a local bra shop in my town :eek:

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
actually yes - we have a C&A not far from us too - I'd forgotten them!! Not sure why since most of our clothes come from there.............

truly though - for us 'larger ladies' that's pretty much all there is & not much choice either - unless we go to small 'boutiques' & pay a fortune for flouncy flowery stuff......... which really isn't what I want to wear

as I said though - online shopping has made that problem go away :)
I, too had forgotten C&A which have a branch in the AlCampo (Spanish branch of the French Auchan - like Carrefour) complex at Granada.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts