Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have about 600 pieces of art glass in a collection - paperweights / perfume bottles / vases that we need to reduce. The thought had crossed our minds to sell them at the local weekly market.

Any idea on the correct paperwork? As this is France it won't be a case of arriving and setting up, there will be at least 3 different pieces of paper involved..:drama:

Tank

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
In most of the local markets, the vendors are professional vendors (i.e. registered with the VAT authority). I'm not entirely sure if they'll let someone set up in the market unless they have a business, but you can always ask at the mairie to see what their policies are. Chances are you will have to pay for the space.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev,
Its not the paying its the paperwork but will trot down to the Marie and see if there is a "simple " solution

Tank

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't know all the legal requirements but at our local market, the local police seem to collect the money for the spaces taken by the vendors each Saturday. I wonder if it is very much and certainly based upon the size of the space taken. Every now and then you can see a new merchant who appears for their first and only time. Perhaps they don't have their papers in order or they don't get a return on their investment or the cops issue them some violation. Best of luck in setting up your business! Warm regards!

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
You need to check with the mairie. I am fairly sure that some mairies will only allow established businesses (i.e. with a VAT registration) to take up a space in the local market. They may require you to produce a KBIS - a business registration - that indicates your business status.

If this is a casual sale of your excess items, they may insist that you wait until the annual vide grenier (rummage sale) where you can get a booth as a local resident.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Have you thought about taking them in to a Depot Vente? They are then the outlet; they take a percentage & pass on the rest when the items are sold.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Some Depots-Vente buy outright; others work as vendor outlets. Obviously you won't get the price as you would selling direct, but it takes a lot of the hassle out of it. Sounds like you might have some homework to do .... good for your French ;)

Have fun

h x

Reactions: Tanksalot
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.