Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am moving to Spain in the near future. I am in a dilema about my car.

Should I sell it and buy a second hand Spanish car?

I have seen Spanish registered cars for advertised for sale in the UK. I have also seen second hand, left hand drive Polish cars for sale.

If I were to buy any of the aforementioned cars would that be legal, difficult or expensive?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi! I am moving to Spain in the near future. I am in a dilema about my car.

Should I sell it and buy a second hand Spanish car?

I have seen Spanish registered cars for advertised for sale in the UK. I have also seen second hand, left hand drive Polish cars for sale.

If I were to buy any of the aforementioned cars would that be legal, difficult or expensive?
If you buy a fully legal Spanish car, you should be aware that any outstanding fines or other legal obligations will transfer with the vehicle and become YOUR responsibility. You should also get the formal transfer from the previous owner in Spain. You could be opening 'a can of worms'. The better option is to buy here in Spain from a reputable source such as a main dealer or agent (often, they will organise all the transfer for you and maybe even the initial insurance but be careful, because they may be on a commission.). Alternatively employ a gestor to handle all the legal formalities.

One advantage of buying from such a reputable source is after-sales service so that they will handle (at their expense) anything that happens to come to light after you have driven it off the premises - this may be for 3 months, 6 months or a year or other period. The Citroen dealer we use (and so do most of our acquaintances now) gave us a full year and, even now (a couple of years later) still does many things free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts