Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I am not new to the forum, but was kinda away for a while though following the posts every now and then, we are moving to Melbourne in few months, holding PR which we have already validated few months ago, with my wife and our two kids 11 and 7, we have looked around Melbourne and we thought that's the city of our choice.

I am an electrical engineer with 14 years experience in the manufacturing field I hold an MBA with other professional certifications such as six sigma and project management professional.

The usual situation, we are planning to land without a job offer in hand, however we hold some money in hand (approx 40k) to help us through the job searching time.

Recently we heard that the job market is slowing down, which has disheartened us a bit.

We are not moving for money because we are doing above good where we come from (Egypt) but we are moving for a decent family life and good future for our kids.

What are the odds we are going to survive till I land a decent job, are there enough job opportunities in my field or for my qualifications , for how long our 40k will support us till I get a job, and how bad the economy is right now is it really as we hear in the news

Many questions are on our minds and more discouraged we get everyday.

Any opinions or comments are welcomed

Mx

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Omar,

My husband is a mechanical engineer too. I searched a lot on relevant jobs in Australia. Apparently Melbourne and Sydney are the best options for manufacturing industry.

You might have to accept a position below your current job. They value local experience in Australia a lot. You might think of short term - contracted jobs, and at the same time you will make connections, meet people, and maybe find a leak to the "hidden job market".

I guess the best way to handle this job search process is to be patient and keep the standards low for a while. Once you have some kind of local experience then you will have better chances.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tuba, have you taken the plunge yet? and if so how is it h going? If not are you getting the same news for the slowing job market?

Hopefully you have better perspective :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts