Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if Australia has a manufactured housing (mobile home) industry and mobile communities?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi,

Mobile homes are very popular here. I didn't realise that this one is made here - not sure which other ones are...

Jayco

Cheers,
Karen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Mobile homes are very popular here. I didn't realise that this one is made here - not sure which other ones are...

Jayco

Cheers,
Karen
Thank you Karen. I guess we just didn't run across any mobile communities in our travels around Melbourne and to Adelaide. In Florida 55+ mobile communities are everyone on the landscape! We live in a mobile community that has been in place since 1973. Thanks for the link - very interesting!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Jayco

Cheers,
Karen
Me again! I went to the link - and I see RVs. Maybe the language is different in the USA? Mobile homes in the US are actual homes in place that are never moved. Ours is 2BD, 2BA, Florida room, carport, expanded living room,etc. Granted, there are wheel rims under the foundation! Jayco seems to make campers or RVs "recreational vehicles."

We stayed in an RV park in Hamilton that was very cute - for overnight stay. We had a small manufactured cabin that was very cute. However, we didn't see any manufactured home communities anywhere (we would call them mobile home parks).

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Sorry now I understand.

There are mobile homes that don't move but I think most of them would be called transportable homes.

Does this look more like it?
Armada Transportables

Cheers,
Karen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't live in Australia but i think mobile houses are almost available in Australia
because one of my friend live here and he was told that there are many opportunity
in Australia.
Thank you for your post. I just read a long article about permitting for building in Australia - I'm thinking there are many regulations about land use that Florida did not have when all these parks were established. Our parks here were never intended to be longterm housing; only summer "cottage" getaways. However, now they remain as affordable housing - about the only housing that elderly people on a small Social Security income might be able to afford. These mobile home have long survived their expected utility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.