Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the early stages of planning to move to the area between Manilva to Gibraltar. We are looking at property, on the internet, and can see a vast range for sale but we need some detailed information about different urbanisations along this stretch with a view to permanent residence.
Having lived on the Algarve we are very aware of the differences that exist, particularly between urbanisations that are largely holiday lets and those which are mainly for long-term residents.
Estate agents are, understandably, reluctant to say much about problems certain urbanisations might have (eg. noise, drinkers, parking, petty crime, poor maintenance) so if anyone has experience of any urbanisations in this area we would be very interested to read your reply.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
In order to give a satisfactory answer to that question, it is surely essential to either live, have lived or spent time holidaying in one or more of the many urbanisations along this stretch of coast. You have to bear in mind that it may be difficult to get objective information as people may not wish, for many reasons, to give negative comments about property in which they may have financial interest.

For what it's worth, here are opinions gleaned from driving this stretch of coast en route to anywhere else as to me it seems one of the ugliest parts of the western CdS. There may be more pleasant urbs further back in the hills but the area bordering the A7 is characterised by kilometres of some of the ugliest development I've seen west of Prague. Many blocks are unfinished and those that are seem sparsely occupied. But on the plus side the property is cheap compared to elsewhere along the Costa.
The area is very British but again that's a fact which is in itself neutral and may be the main attraction for some prospective retirees.

But these are my opinions, and those who actually live there will most probably disagree. I would however do my own fact-finding and not take advice or comments too seriously.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I see you are in France and have lived in Portugal. Perhaps you like the freedom to move on, as I do. In that case I would rent first, it is the only way to find out.

In a tourist area there are always rentals in most urbanisations. Naturally people on holiday sometimes like to sit out late at night in hot weather and noise carries. What could be heaven one month could be a hell hole the next month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are in the early stages of planning to move to the area between Manilva to Gibraltar. We are looking at property, on the internet, and can see a vast range for sale but we need some detailed information about different urbanisations along this stretch with a view to permanent residence. So if anyone has experience of any urbanisations in this area we would be very interested to read your reply.
I am sorry that my request was obviously not clear enough. OF COURSE we will rent before buying, and yes, we have visited the area several times and are fully aware of its good and bad side so comments on the ugliness etc are of little value.

The point is one cannot possibly try holidaying/living in a large number of urbanisations so useful facts from people who do live there is one way of getting a rounder picture. Even if we rented for several months/a year we would never have as full a picture as we might have if people shared their experiences, as we have discovered from many years living in four different countries.

If anyone else has any helpful comments I would love to read them.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I am sorry that my request was obviously not clear enough. OF COURSE we will rent before buying, and yes, we have visited the area several times and are fully aware of its good and bad side so comments on the ugliness etc are of little value.

The point is one cannot possibly try holidaying/living in a large number of urbanisations so useful facts from people who do live there is one way of getting a rounder picture. Even if we rented for several months/a year we would never have as full a picture as we might have if people shared their experiences, as we have discovered from many years living in four different countries.

If anyone else has any helpful comments I would love to read them.
See Isobella's post. Says it all, really.
Very true comments.
Just to note: I lived for years in an area of owner occupiers which was very peaceful, settled, everyone got on. Then a house was sold to someone who rented it to wild young people. The area changed overnight and we moved.
So...you could have an urb where the same could happen. It's true some places have 'reputations' but it doesn't take much to 'lower the tone' of a previously peaceful community.

Maybe you will get some more helpful comments.

I did point out that my view as to the aesthetics of the area might not be shared by others. Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder and very many people obviously like living in that area.
Sobre los gustos....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts