Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In June I am moving to Extremadura. I am not keen on the long ferry so am looking at driving with three dogs and a cat.
Any help on route and places where we can all stop overnight welcome.
I know hotels will take a dog but a herd of them... and a cat?

Many thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
As far as I know in most 'HOSTALES'... they admit pets. There is a difference between HOTELES and HOSTALES.

Hostales are found mostly in carreteras (like travelodge and the Inns). Don't confuse them with hostels as in the UK.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
Hello,

In June I am moving to Extremadura. I am not keen on the long ferry so am looking at driving with three dogs and a cat.
Any help on route and places where we can all stop overnight welcome.
I know hotels will take a dog but a herd of them... and a cat?

Many thanks
Ohh just seen this

We are doing exactly the same thing, however we plumped for the longer ferry and shorter drive with the animals. Where in Extremadura are you moving too?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I would take the tunnel, then via Rouen, Le Mans, Bordeaux (overnight stop at Première Classe Biarritz -takes animals and just of motorway) then via Vitoria Gasteiz then round Madrid (just follow signs for your exit [R5]) and away.

Coming from the north I'd get through Tunnel and spend first night in vicinity of Tunnel (Premiere Classe Boulogns St Martin)which then gives you two length but easily doable days driving as above, i.e. 3 days in all. Traffic in France and in Spain is, on the whole, much lighter and less tiring than in UK.

If you want to ferry across the Channel, there is a Premiere Classe near the Calais terminal.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I think the best route to go to Extremadura from north of Spain, is San Sebastian, Vitoria, Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca and Caceres. It takes around 7 hours from Irun (bit less that 680kms). All motorway and straight, (obviously you don't have to 'touch' these cities).

Gone via Madrid (which I have done many times, so I stop and see family in Madrid), takes a bit more (100kms more).

Done that all my life as I am from Extremadura and always lived in the north of Spain. It is much straight forward.

It used to take us (when we were kids) up to 15 hours for the same journey, but then again we didn't have any motorways that side of the country.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
we have found a hotel now takes pets foc - OP did you find one?

·
Registered
44 Posts
All the best whatever you choose
We have been roughly at same stage of getting to Spain all the way,our house sale recently fell through so its on the market again
Our son is taking our old lab as he doesn't do well in the heat but we looked at many ways of transporting him

1 - 8 of 8 Posts