Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour!

I have read all messages in this thread - helpful and informative, thank you!

However, my case is a little different. Both my husband and I are Malaysians. My husband is seconded to Paris for 2 years and we have been living here for more than a month. My questions are:

1. Do I need to have a long-stay visa to obtain a carte de sejour? (Malaysians can enter France as a tourist without a visa for up to 3 months)

2. How many hours per week can I work in France with my CDS? I am very interested in retail, part-time job is fine for me - i just want to occupy my time.

Merci bien de votre assistance. :)

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Have moved you into a thread of your own because your situation is, indeed, different from what was being discussed in the other thread.

Your situation vis-a-vis your husband's secondment is dependent on what sort of visa your husband will be on. Assuming his employer is handling the visa details, then yes, they should apply for your visa (probably a "dependent" visa) at the same time they apply for your husband's work visa. If they don't, you may be faced with a wait of 18 months before you can apply for a visa to join him.

If you entered France on a Schengen visa for 3 months, you can't extend your stay, nor can you apply for a visa from within France. You need to see if your husband's employer will rectify their error toute de suite (i.e. ASAP). You cannot apply for a carte de séjour unless you entered France on a long-stay visa. That procedure only applies to the spouse of a European national. If your husband has an EU passport, you can use that process, but only if he has a non-French European passport.

If you're on a Schengen visa, you can't work at all. If you are on a dependent visa based on your husband's work visa, you can't work at all unless your husband is on a "researcher or scientific" visa and you have the appropriate dependent visa.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.