Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been looking for a site like this and have finally found one! It looks like a godsend - so thanks to the owners!

Any help from you folks would be greatly appreciated... our situation is this:

We are moving out to Australia at the end of the year (if we qualify via points system etc) after finally making the decision to go. I'm 33, my fiancee is 25 and our little lad is 4 months old.

I'd been a sports journalist for 15 years working on the News of the World and the Sun in London until two years ago when we decided for a complete change. I've continued to freelance but myself and the other half decided to open a small hotel/large Guest House and have done that for 18months.

Now to the crux of it: she has lots of family in Melbourne (aunt/uncle/cousins/second cousins) and they have said they'll be our sponsor. Neither of us have ever been on the dole and never will be, and our plan is to come over and buy Guest House to run. Meanwhile, I'll try and continue with my work writing for newspapers/freelancing, if possible.

We just have NO IDEA which area to move to. I'm sure you guys are fed up hearing the same questions on here so I thought if I outlined our situation, it would be easier to advise us?

* We need an area that's quite busy/affluent so that the business succeeds...

* Weather is quite important, again for the business (vacations etc) which was our only real doubt about Melbourne (possibly unfounded?).

* We will sell up here so probably have around 500k (one million AUS dollars-ish) to purchase a new business. Is that more possible in one area rather than another?

* We aren't worried about schools JUST yet (George is only 4 months) but will be in future.

* Where do Brits tend to end up/where do they tend to visit most as our Guest House succeeding may depend on it?

* What are the main benefits/downfalls of setting up in Sydney, Queensland, Melbourne and the MAIN 'named' places in Australia in terms of cost of living/weather/people/facilities?

I'm sorry for all the questions and will probably have more! We may not even qualify via the points system but I'm hoping a combination of our jobs (journalism and hotelier are both on the SOL list, I think) and our age, and my fiancee's family being over in Australia may help our case?

Any info appreciated, and thanks for listening to such a rambling post.
Regards,
Gus

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Gus

welcome to the forum..

have you considered gold coast, sunshine coast etc? those are the prime holiday destinations..
I am not in Australia yet but have read a lot about it and have many friends in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydnye and Canberra.

You will get plenty of good advice in here.

Wish you luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi

it's our dream to run a guest house or similar in the Melbourne area one day so its a question close to my heart.

There is less tourist traffic in Melbourne than in the sunnier east coast cities but there are still thriving tourist areas around Melbourne particularly the wine regions and the great ocean road.

Melbourne is also the sporting capital of Australia and there may be more freelance work available there for you, or you may find a combination to suit you - ie a guest house on one of the many appearing golf courses - Golfing holidays are very popular around Melbourne. check out realestate.com.au that will give some ideas

sounds like you have many visa options - buisness / family sponsered / standard 175 - just bear in mind you will lose 5 points when you hit 35

good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi
As ange says,( and we were recently advised, ) get that visa application in a week before you turn 35 to be safe and you will hold on to the points you need,
the visas can take a long time to go through (up to 18 mth i think) tho can be very quick, and you dont have to leave straight away.....

were in a similar situation, and just getting everything together at this stage but most on here have been there....worn the t shirt so your in the best place!

have you thought of getting an immigration agent? ive heard they are great for sorting everything out for you ( like a mortgage broker! but for visas) i believe, they tell you which visa and how to get it and do all sorts of things for you, but its expensive.....though worth considering, loads on here have used them and most reccomend.
;)
good luck:D
regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for all your replies so far. I can't tell you how helpful this forum is - already!

Regarding the weather, is is the general consensus that Melbourne isn't thaaaaaat great? From looking around the forum it seems that it's not one of the warmer places to settle (although, obviously, far superior to what we have in England!)

It seems Sydney would be better in terms of running a Guest House as there would be more tourists etc... would the weather be similar to Melbourne or better? Would property prices be comparable to Melbourne?

Sorry for the questions, folks.... I'm sure after finding answers to the 'basic' things, I'll be a less of a pain on here. Marginally.

Thanks all,
Gus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...also, apologies, I've just seen the reply from Claire regarding an immigration officer. Could someone advise of the cost and recommend anybody? It seems this could be a huge help, depending on how the service is.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
we have used visa-go.com and i cant recommend them enough. The cost was £2k (in addition to the DIAC, medical, PCC & skill assesment charges) but it did include things like obtaining certified copies of documents and constant advice and support.

I have recommended on another post that it is worth going to an emigration expo - ie at Sandown in March, you get to meet agents and many other helpful prefessionsal - moving companies, financial advisers, aussie banks, some state government representatives. We went to the emigrate show in Edinburgh and met 3 agents and had quotes from £1500 to £2000. It was good to be able to meet the people we were trusting with our future.

for us it was money well spent, we tried to obtain state sponsorship on our own a few years back (admittedly before I found this site!) and we failed because we mis-understood the process, we didn't dare risk it again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
...also, apologies, I've just seen the reply from Claire regarding an immigration officer. Could someone advise of the cost and recommend anybody? It seems this could be a huge help, depending on how the service is.

Thanks again.
Hi Again

If you do a bit of research on "emigration agents" on the forum there are a lot of posts talking about peoples experiences with them thought be carefull they have to be registered "mara" i think.
they generally cost round £2,500 i believe though the first consultation is usually free and they mostly break the rest in to installments, great if your visa isnt straight forward as im sure ours wont be lol
theres a couple on the forum, though i have contacted them but not heard back from them yet,think phonng is the best bet.
take care:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts