Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get foreign currency from?

I need to make payments abroad for cleaning and maintenance etc on a regular basis but I want to avoid the extortionate charges

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used Nobanx a number of times now. It's like a well kept secret as they don't seem to publicise the service much. I only found out about from a recommendation from a friend.

Instead of having a bank sell you currency they allow us members to exchange it between ourselves with nobanx automatically arranging the exchange. The members can then have nobanx make the payments on their behalf, electronically or by cheque.

The only charges they make are GBP 1 or NZD 3 for each exchange (regardless of amount) and then any bank charges or postage charges they incur.

My husband says it is a bit like the betfair site without the gambling. You dont know who you are exchanging with as it all takes place anonymously on the internet. You put your funsd into the nobanx account in your country, specifiy the exchange rate you wantt and then wait for someone to match it.
You then have the currency available to you.

Hope this helps you as it has saved me a small fortune already. Like I say, it's like a well kept secret and was only too pleased to find out about it myself.

Jane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

I posted this comment on another forum and investigated all their suggestions.
Somone else also recommended NoBanx and I decided to give it a try.

I set up an exchange at their suggested rate, which is just below the interbank rate but I actually received an exchange rate higher than the interbank rate.

I also found out that you can make payments and receive payments without charge and all with cleared funds, so no risk of clawbacks (which I've experienced with pay-pal) when selling stuff.

I don't think that the service will remain a secret for too long given how much I saved.

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts