Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,

I have few questions in regard to PR visa.

1. The initial visa is granted for a period of 5 years. Is there certain amount of time that one has to spend in Australia in these 5 years that make a person eligible for a permanent 'permanent resident'.

2. I plan to stay in Australia for some time after I get my PR and then return to my native place. Is there any minimum amount of time that I need to spend in Australia to ensure that I go back to Australia without any hassles ?

Please provide your inputs.

thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Buddy,
2 yrs out of 5 to get the Resident Return Visa again after 5 yrs ,you should be in Australian at end of visa if by any chance you are out of Australia then your visa is over.

Thanks
Vijay

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi Buddy,
you should be in Australian at end of visa if by any chance you are out of Australia then your visa is over.
Vijay
Hi Vijay,

mate can you please clarify what you mean here? My understanding is that disregard where you live, your VISA is over at the end of your VISA.

I do know that after the initial 5 year PR VISA, you cannot travel freely in and out of Australia if you don't get a RRV. However, if you don't leave Australia after the 5 years you can live here without breaking immigration laws even without a RRV. Did you mean this?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Vijay,

mate can you please clarify what you mean here? My understanding is that disregard where you live, your VISA is over at the end of your VISA.

I do know that after the initial 5 year PR VISA, you cannot travel freely in and out of Australia if you don't get a RRV. However, if you don't leave Australia after the 5 years you can live here without breaking immigration laws even without a RRV. Did you mean this?
Hi,
let me explain how it works. If in the 5 years period, you stay a total for say, only three months. then when you apply for an RRV(resident return visa), it will only be given for another 3 months. Then you would have a difficult time coming in, and staying on for that period of time, and again and again applying for RRVs. What you should aim to do is at least stay for a total of 2 years out of your initial 5 years. In that case, your RRV gets renewed for another 5 complete years! After that time, if you are still interested in staying on in Australia, you should look to become a citizen.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi,
let me explain how it works. If in the 5 years period, you stay a total for say, only three months. then when you apply for an RRV(resident return visa), it will only be given for another 3 months. Then you would have a difficult time coming in, and staying on for that period of time, and again and again applying for RRVs. What you should aim to do is at least stay for a total of 2 years out of your initial 5 years. In that case, your RRV gets renewed for another 5 complete years! After that time, if you are still interested in staying on in Australia, you should look to become a citizen.
Thanks buddy for clarifying this

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had a similar doubt and didn't want to start a new thread :) Was wondering if I get an opportunity in other country to work on contract after activating my visa, how things would work out and this thread answered it.

One more question though. Let's say, after a year or so, the company you are working for in Australia, decides to send you to another country for a project for a long term. How will this affect the visa?

G

·
Hi,
This is wrong. If you only live in Australia for 3 months in the 5 year period it is highly likely you will not be eligible for a resident return visa and if outside Australia when your initial visa expires you will have no right of entry to Australia. To be eligible you need compelling & compassionate reasons for your absence and wanting to live in your home country & simply maintain PR is neither. It is also extremely difficult to prove substantial ties to Australia if you have not actually lived there for any substantial period.

The 3 month return visa is not a consolation prize for those who are not eligble for a 1 or 5 year return.

The rest is right, live 2 years out of 5 and you should be eligible for a return visa dependent on where you are when you apply and how long you have been outside Australia since living there for 2 years and your substantial ties to Australia.

Simply after 5 years you do not need a return visa if you are living in Australia and have no intention of leaving. At some point you will qualify for citizenship and then a passport.

Resident Return visa (subclasses 155 and 157)

Australian PR is use it or lose it not something you can maintain forever in case you might want to use it in your old age!

·
Registered
748 Posts
This is wrong. If you only live in Australia for 3 months in the 5 year period it is highly likely you will not be eligible for a resident return visa and if outside Australia when your initial visa expires you will have no right of entry to Australia. To be eligible you need compelling & compassionate reasons for your absence and wanting to live in your home country & simply maintain PR is neither. It is also extremely difficult to prove substantial ties to Australia if you have not actually lived there for any substantial period.

The 3 month return visa is not a consolation prize for those who are not eligble for a 1 or 5 year return.

The rest is right, live 2 years out of 5 and you should be eligible for a return visa dependent on where you are when you apply and how long you have been outside Australia since living there for 2 years and your substantial ties to Australia.

Simply after 5 years you do not need a return visa if you are living in Australia and have no intention of leaving. At some point you will qualify for citizenship and then a passport.

Australian PR is use it or lose it not something you can maintain forever in case you might want to use it in your old age!
Thanks _shel. This was my understanding too. For a moment I thought you need to be in Australia to apply for RRV. Went through DIBP website but couldn't find anything that said so.

Citizenship is not an option for people like me who cannot keep dual citizenship and are not willing to give up the original citizenship. So I guess RRV is the option.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lets suppose someone gets a PR visa.
Can he do the following:
1. come to AUS for a weak or two and thus activate the visa, then
2. spend 3-4 years outside of AUS, then
3. return to AUS before 5 year expiry date, and continue to live in AUS for the rest of his life.

Is this possible or not?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Can he do the following:
3. return to AUS before 5 year expiry date, and continue to live in AUS for the rest of his life.

Is this possible or not?
Yes, this is possible but if after the initial 5 year visa expires, they want to leave Australia (to go on holiday in Bali for example) and also want to return as an Australian PR, they will need to apply for an RRV and they will be assessed under the criteria as mentioned above.

It's worth noting that immigration rules change frequently and what's allowed now may not be permitted 5 or even 2 years from now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, this is possible but if after the initial 5 year visa expires, they want to leave Australia (to go on holiday in Bali for example) and also want to return as an Australian PR, they will need to apply for an RRV and they will be assessed under the criteria as mentioned above.
I see.
So in the scenario I have mentioned in my previous post, would one need to extend his PR visa after 5 year visa expires or what he would need to do, in order not to loose his PR status?

To clarify, lets say for example, one gets his visa in January 2014, and is given until June 2014 to activate his visa.
So the person comes to AUS in May 2014, stays in AUS one week so activating his visa and then leaves AUS.
The person then returns to AUS in May 2018 (4 years later) in order to stay there permanently, and he won't be making any trips outside of AUS after that.
Eventually his initial 5-year PR visa expires (if I am right that happens after 5 years?) on January 2019. What does the person needs to do then (assuming he is at that time in AUS) in order to still have his PR status?
Will his PR be in any risk in the above scenario?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I see.
So in the scenario I have mentioned in my previous post, would one need to extend his PR visa after 5 year visa expires or what he would need to do, in order not to loose his PR status?

To clarify, lets say for example, one gets his visa in January 2014, and is given until June 2014 to activate his visa.
So the person comes to AUS in May 2014, stays in AUS one week so activating his visa and then leaves AUS.
The person then returns to AUS in May 2018 (4 years later) in order to stay there permanently, and he won't be making any trips outside of AUS after that.
Eventually his initial 5-year PR visa expires (if I am right that happens after 5 years?) on January 2019. What does the person needs to do then (assuming he is at that time in AUS) in order to still have his PR status?
Will his PR be in any risk in the above scenario?
I just told you. They would need to apply for an RRV if they plan to leave and re-enter Australia after January 2019. Otherwise, they don't need to do anything.

This is all speculative of course, as we don't know what the regulations will be in 2019 and the rules will more than likely change by then.

G

·
I'd say not to hope the rules will stay the same. They only recently changed the return resident visa rules to effectively stop people maintaining PR by only visiting the country a few times.

The requirements for the visa are much more substantial than before and that will probably happen again in the future if the Government figure people are returning only to renew their return resident visa then leaving for another 4 years. It could end up only those with either close family ie young children or a spouse or confirmed job offers that get return visas.

G

·
Thanks _shel. This was my understanding too. For a moment I thought you need to be in Australia to apply for RRV. Went through DIBP website but couldn't find anything that said so.

Citizenship is not an option for people like me who cannot keep dual citizenship and are not willing to give up the original citizenship. So I guess RRV is the option.
I can understand your concerns. My mother in law is Sri Lankan and gave up her citizenship for USA citizenship many years ago. She now spends half the year in Australia as PR with my father in law who is Australian and the other half in Sri Lanka on her husbands visa as partner!

But if you are actually intending to live in Australia most of the time you certainly can maintain it because she has done now on a spouse then return residents visas for about 8 years despite being in Sri Lanka for long periods of each year.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I can understand your concerns. My mother in law is Sri Lankan and gave up her citizenship for USA citizenship many years ago. She now spends half the year in Australia as PR with my father in law who is Australian and the other half in Sri Lanka on her husbands visa as partner!

But if you are actually intending to live in Australia most of the time you certainly can maintain it because she has done now on a spouse then return residents visas for about 8 years despite being in Sri Lanka for long periods of each year.
I see. When the time comes, I will give it a serious thought. Having an Australian passport and being an Australian citizen certainly have many privileges.

Reactions: jre05

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
wt is the requirement of citizen?? spending 2 yr in Aus out of 10 yr?? in any visa?
No. To apply for citizenship, you need to have lived physically in Australia for 4 years, with absences totalling no more than 1 year (and no more than 90 days in the year before applying). You need to have been a PR for at least one year.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Well good information.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Can he do the following:

Is this possible or not?
Good question.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I will be applying my 189 visa in a few weeks and in parallel I might get a good job in NZ. So I was thinking of making an initial AUS entry with my family and spend a few days there and then take a flight to NZ and join the job. During my time in NZ I can keep looking out for an opportunity in Australia. Once I get a job in AU then I can make a move. I read at many places that one need to spend 2 years out of 5 years after initial entry in order to maintain PR status and get an RRV.

Also if I have 189 AU visa then does the NZ employer need to apply for work permit for me?

Any information here will be helpful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts