Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I was planning to retire and move to Spain this year, now this covid-19 thingy have put a temporary halt to my plans, but I'm still researching.
I was originally planning to move to Valencia, since Madrid and Barcelona are too expensive.
I spoke to some people that basically told me that I really should go and see and that Valencia was not very nice and Madrid was much better.
So I have been researching Madrid for the last couple of months, and yes I would rather live in Madrid that Valencia that is for sure, but the price of housing is so much more expensive.
What I would like to have is a house with a garage where I can put a car and a motorcycle, but I also would like to be able to enjoy Madrid, which means going out eating and drinking, so I would like to have access to public transport especially later at night.
When I have been researching it looks like it will be impossible to get a house for less than 300k with less than 40-50 minutes of public transport that runs after 11 at night?

So I have started to reassess what I really want, and I really need to go have a look, so the plan now is to (after the travel restrictions are lifted) to stay maybe 1 month in Madrid, 1 in Valencia and then after looking a bit more at the weather maybe 1 month in Alicante.
So, sorry a bit long winded. I would like to have access to a 'big' city, lots of nice food shops, market, wine shops, restaurants, big shops like Ikea and Cosco which don't exists in Alicant (or Valencia).
I want to be able to ride around the country and the rest of Europe on a motorcycle and travel by air to all over the world. I dont really need a big house, 2 rooms would be enough, but I do want a terrace and a garage to be able to do repair work to a motorcycle, maybe some wood workings and 'hide' the car when Im away.

So any recommendations? Or am I aiming to high with to little money?
Would I be OK in Alicante? or Valencia?
Is there a way to maintain a motorcycle in a apartment? I have tried to find a way to rent or buy a garage, but very few have 4 walls around them, so it would be impossible to keep tools.

Any reason I see so few people posting about Madrid here?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hi!
I was planning to retire and move to Spain this year, now this covid-19 thingy have put a temporary halt to my plans, but I'm still researching.
I was originally planning to move to Valencia, since Madrid and Barcelona are too expensive.
I spoke to some people that basically told me that I really should go and see and that Valencia was not very nice and Madrid was much better.
So I have been researching Madrid for the last couple of months, and yes I would rather live in Madrid that Valencia that is for sure, but the price of housing is so much more expensive.
What I would like to have is a house with a garage where I can put a car and a motorcycle, but I also would like to be able to enjoy Madrid, which means going out eating and drinking, so I would like to have access to public transport especially later at night.
When I have been researching it looks like it will be impossible to get a house for less than 300k with less than 40-50 minutes of public transport that runs after 11 at night?

So I have started to reassess what I really want, and I really need to go have a look, so the plan now is to (after the travel restrictions are lifted) to stay maybe 1 month in Madrid, 1 in Valencia and then after looking a bit more at the weather maybe 1 month in Alicante.
So, sorry a bit long winded. I would like to have access to a 'big' city, lots of nice food shops, market, wine shops, restaurants, big shops like Ikea and Cosco which don't exists in Alicant (or Valencia).
I want to be able to ride around the country and the rest of Europe on a motorcycle and travel by air to all over the world. I dont really need a big house, 2 rooms would be enough, but I do want a terrace and a garage to be able to do repair work to a motorcycle, maybe some wood workings and 'hide' the car when Im away.

Is there a way to maintain a motorcycle in a apartment? I have tried to find a way to rent or buy a garage, but very few have 4 walls around them, so it would be impossible to keep tools.

Most of the people here are retired and live in the southern coastal areas. There are a few who live in Madrid who will be able to assist you. I think cities are not attractive to elderly retired UK expats as they are generally more expensive and Spanish is often necessary to enjoy more fully

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the people here are retired and live in the southern coastal areas. There are a few who live in Madrid who will be able to assist you. I think cities are not attractive to elderly retired UK expats as they are generally more expensive and Spanish is often necessary to enjoy more fully
Ok, makes sense.
I will retire, but maybe I'm not elderly yet? :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

That doesn't sound like a house would be the best option. A house needs to be looked after even when you aren't home. Garden? Pick up the mail? Watch out if somebody tries to break in?

Every town will have food shops. Ikea? Costco? Sooner or later you'll switch over to local versions.

Have you not been to any of these cities? Madrid is one of those cities you either love or don't. Personally it leaves me blah.

Valencia I found much more enjoyable. Alicante? Was okay but I'm not sure I'd pick it first in any list.

If the plan is to drive around the rest of Europe remember it'll take you awhile from anywhere. Even Barcelona IIRC is about three hours from the border. Somebody will correct me.

Final point 300K sounds like a larger nicer home. I'm surprised you can't find something in the two bedroom size for less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That doesn't sound like a house would be the best option. A house needs to be looked after even when you aren't home. Garden? Pick up the mail? Watch out if somebody tries to break in?

Every town will have food shops. Ikea? Costco? Sooner or later you'll switch over to local versions.

Have you not been to any of these cities? Madrid is one of those cities you either love or don't. Personally it leaves me blah.

Valencia I found much more enjoyable. Alicante? Was okay but I'm not sure I'd pick it first in any list.

If the plan is to drive around the rest of Europe remember it'll take you awhile from anywhere. Even Barcelona IIRC is about three hours from the border. Somebody will correct me.

Final point 300K sounds like a larger nicer home. I'm surprised you can't find something in the two bedroom size for less.
Hum, house, yes, maybe hard to look after itself?
I do want to buy local stuff, but I also want big shops, I like big cities, but not a big concern.

> Have you not been to any of these cities?
ahh, no :(
Well, we are all different, I guess I must go there and stay for a month or so in a few places, maybe I love it maybe I don't.

> Final point 300K sounds like a larger nicer home. I'm surprised you can't find something in the two bedroom size for less.
Apartment yes, no problem. But with a garage where I can keep tools to maintain a bike, very hard or very far out.
I guess I just need to give up on that and use a shop to do things for me.

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
Hi!

I live in the Comunidad de Madrid, not in the city of Madrid. There are houses with garages here for 300.000€ or less. Prices will go down due to Corona Virus aftermath.
The journey to Madrid by public transport is 30 - 40 mins. There are buses after 11:00pm but they are called buhos (owls). You should be able to get timetables from here, but it's not so easy to navigate

https://www.crtm.es/tu-transporte-publico/autobuses-interurbanos/lineas/8__631___.aspx?lang=en
I have no problem getting into Madrid for what I want using public transport and my 26 year old uses it as well at all hours. We never drive into the city, and in fact now they are in the process of closing off the traffic in the city centre (depending on who is in power in local government).
The town itself is not particularly attractive, but it's ok. What I love is being closer to the countryside with the possibilities that Madrid offers within our reach, also useful for employment. See recent photos in photo thread sticky in La Tasca.
A big plus for bikers is the famous Cruz Verde route in the mountains just outside El Escorial. You can probably find it referenced on biker sites. Here's this in Spanish with a map
https://revistaplacet.es/puerto-de-la-cruz-verde-punto-de-encuentro-de-moteros-desde-1970

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>I live in the Comunidad de Madrid, not in the city of Madrid. There are houses with garages here for 300.000€ or less. Prices will go down due to Corona Virus aftermath.

Thanks, yes I'm expecting prices to go down, we will see.

>The journey to Madrid by public transport is 30 - 40 mins.
That is fine, more than 50 starts to be a bit long.

> ..... but it's not so easy to navigate
I know :(, I have seen that site before, but I can't make sense out of it.
I need a map to understand, well more research I guess.

>What I love is being closer to the countryside with the possibilities that Madrid offers within our reach, ....
>A big plus for bikers is the famous Cruz Verde route in the mountains just outside El Escorial. You can probably find it referenced on biker sites. Here's this in Spanish with a map
Yes, I have seen the 'Cruz Verde route' and generally as you say the countryside, it looks like a very good compromise between a big city (when I want that) and countryside when I want that.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I live in central Madrid. 300k won't get you a very nice house, otherwise I would have bought it ;) Your best bet would be to buy a flat and a garage somewhere nearby, but that would take a fair bit of searching. Further out you could take a look along the A6 towards El Escorial as PW suggests. Places like Alpedrete also should have houses for 300k. Also you could try looking at Alcala de Henares further east and Rivas to the south east. The scenery tends to be drier and more barren, but Rivas is on a direct metro line to central Madrid. On the west side there are places like Leganes, Alcorcon and Mostoles where you might pick up a house for 300k I guess. You need to bear in mind that if you don´t speak Spanish you will struggle to integrate in these places.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
To the Northwest of Madrid, you have �Àvila a fabulous place where you should be able to find all that you want.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
You could just buy an old van and store the tools inside the van. The van doesn't even need to run. Have it towed to your parking spot.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I live in the suburbs of Madrid, 15 minutes in Metro, which they were planning to make 24 hour service at the weekends, but demand for public transport may be reduced after Covid, so I wouldn't even rely in existing schedules being maintained, forget future increases in service for a short while at least.

I am a "tinkerer" and a biker and live in a flat (no way we could get a house with land / garage where we are for 300k and I've never had that kind of money to buy a property with anyway).

My bike and classic car share a space in a community garage behind my apartment block, it's pretty safe with 24 hour security guard on the door. But working on the vehicles inside is a big no-no. Totally against the rules.

I used to have access to a private garage outside of Madrid, so when it was time to service or repair the car or bike I used to go there (my wife drove her car with my tools in and we were able to stay there over a weekend so it was quite convenient) but that ended sadly.

Now, with my car, I take it to one of the private "DIY mechanics centers" that there are quite a few of around Madrid. It's not cheap, but you get an elevator, compressed air line, tools etc. Obviously it still much cheaper than taking the car to a mechanic, but as you'll understand, it's not always about the money. Mechanics in Spain are dubious and although my wife's car goes to the dealers for a service being still quite new, I wouldn't let anyone work on my car or bike unless I really had no choice.

I am a bit lucky that my underground parking space is right at the bottom and right at the back of the garage, so although I can't really do a service on the bike in there, the odd job can be done without being noticed. I put the bike on paddock stands behind the car, cover it with a bike cover and work discreetly with the tools in the boot of the car. If I hear anyone approach I pull the cover over the bike and turn to the boot of the car, like I am sorting stuff out in there! Not convenient but it allows me to remove parts, like the forks for example, then I can take them up to my apartment and dismantle them and service the seals etc on my balcony. I take the wheels out like this when it's time for new tyres and take the loose wheels to the tyre fitters in the boot of the car.

I have a fold up workbench, a vice, and all my tools in a big plastic cupboard on the balcony and I can do a lot of stuff there and pack it all away again to enjoy the balcony for what my wife thinks it is for!

It is also technically illegal to work on vehicles in the street, but again, I do sometimes risk it, if what I need to do doesn't involve draining any liquids. That's where you really have to draw the line. If I am adjusting the chain for example, sometimes I get comments from people that I'm "not supposed to do that here", so I just remain calm and ask back "and what is it that I am I doing here?" Most people just mumble and walk away. One did once say that they were going to call the police, so I just said OK, and asked how long they were going to take to arrive because I was almost done. I offered to give my address if they were going to wait there until the police turned up. In reality, the police have much better things to do.

But, in short, it sounds like you really do want a house with private garage. In Madrid within the Metro network, that's a big ask for 300k, but you could look at the MetroSur area as was mentioned before (Leganes / Mostoles) but they are separate towns, not Madrid city, but they are linked by Metro.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Remember the OP hasn't been to any of the cities on his list.

From the sounds of it. He needs

An airport for travel around Europe.

City life.

A home .

Depending on how much travel and to where he might want to rearrange the order.

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
Remember the OP hasn't been to any of the cities on his list.

From the sounds of it. He needs

An airport for travel around Europe.

City life.

A home .

Depending on how much travel and to where he might want to rearrange the order.
And if he wants it in the "near Madrid City" area, he can get it. As Over and Out says, you need to get further out than the metro, but you could live fairly near to a train station and get that price. Our bus service is very efficient, although it might change according to Over and Out. (I don't think it will, the private car traffic into Madrid is horrendous as it is, and will not withstand more, so if more people try driving their cars in they'll soon change their minds after not being able to get to work on time/ park for a few days). We also have train at 8 mins by car.
The OP says he'll spend a month in each place. I don't think it's enough, but plenty of people take the plunge on less.
For me, it would hinge on the work thing. If you need to work the scenario changes and is very different, but the OP hasn't said anything about yet.
Also, I'm not sure if the OP knows about the conditions that need to be fulfilled pre and post Brexit which could be game changing, and also when travel in and out of Spain and the UK will normalise post Covid 19, if ever!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Also, I'm not sure if the OP knows about the conditions that need to be fulfilled pre and post Brexit which could be game changing, and also when travel in and out of Spain and the UK will normalise post Covid 19, if ever!
We shouldn't assume of course, but going on the OP's username, I suspect that Brexit is not an issue here.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
This thread got me thinking! So I looked out of curiosity at houses with private garages in Leganes.

Most are between the 450k - 600k € mark, but there are some decent looking ones for around 320k asking price. I reckon that for 300 or a bit less you could get it. Maybe a bit of trek walking to the Metro, nice garage though!

https://www.idealista.com/inmueble/86702079/

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I still think if the OP is going to be traveling much of the time an apartment would be a better option.

BTW didn't he ask about a small two bedroom?

https://www.idealista.com/inmueble/87934666/

Even that might be bigger than he wants. Would need to rent a garage but

https://www.idealista.com/inmueble/86566417/#

That's what I thought of when he said small two bedroom
But to live in a 2 bedroomed apartment with no garage or garden he might as well live in Madrid city surely?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It makes more sense to me.

Now I've no idea if it makes more sense to him but it sounds like he's not bringing a family with him. That he won't be home much. I don't know if he wants a large place that will just sit empty.

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
It makes more sense to me.

Now I've no idea if it makes more sense to him but it sounds like he's not bringing a family with him. That he won't be home much. I don't know if he wants a large place that will just sit empty.
Having a house outside of a city doesn't = a large place. I know of flats in Spain far larger than my house.
Anyway, why hypothesize? The OP will decide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in central Madrid. 300k won't get you a very nice house, otherwise I would have bought it ;) Your best bet would be to buy a flat and a garage somewhere nearby, but that would take a fair bit of searching. Further out you could take a look along the A6 towards El Escorial as PW suggests. Places like Alpedrete also should have houses for 300k. Also you could try looking at Alcala de Henares further east and Rivas to the south east. The scenery tends to be drier and more barren, but Rivas is on a direct metro line to central Madrid. On the west side there are places like Leganes, Alcorcon and Mostoles where you might pick up a house for 300k I guess. You need to bear in mind that if you don´t speak Spanish you will struggle to integrate in these places.
Thanks, I must admit that the Spanish is nonexisting at the moment, trying to learn, but hard when you don't have the chance to speak.
Good point though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts