Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you see M. MACRON on walkabout?

A guy in the front row appeared to whisper something to him, then slapped him across the face.

Two men arrested.

The President is pretty lucky it wasn't something a lot worse.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
The comments on you tube are priceless....he is not a well liked man all over the world.

Being near crowds is really not a good idea.

His security team waited a bit did they not ? ;)

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,756 Posts
A slap ? looked to me like he was trying to brush a tear from our poor president's cheek.

·
Registered
576 Posts
At least in France the president can still walk among people and shake hands. If Biden did that he'd be riddled with bullets not a slap on the cheek.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Ya know - I've long thought that. Ever since I moved over here to Europe (almost 30 years now) I have marveled at the fairly "light" security that seems to accompany European politicians here. Seems to be yet another of the creeping influences of the US. Was about to say that the prevalence of guns seems to be the big difference, but there are plenty of guns here in France, too.

Just got a book that is a history of the US Secret Service. Maybe there's something in there that will explain the situation.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
When I fist heard, I thought it was this kids dad...

Not sure many parents would be happy if he spoke to thir kids like. For me, that is verbal violence.

Their is a rumour that Macron slap day will become the next bank holiday in France. :D

I hate all forms of violence verbal and phyiscal.

He really needs to stay away from crowds given they way he speaks/spoken to people.

·
Registered
134 Posts
He got hit ??:rolleyes:
He got hit , until the assailants hand reached a certain point his intention would not have been apparent, and he did move very quickly.Sometimes things happen,to imply his security services moved slower than they could have is unfair

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hit? A light slap.

He had security guards everywhere, including in plain clothes in the crowd. And the CRS were there also. However, given his penchant for mixing with crowds, putting his arm around there, not paying much regard to social distancing etc. it is not surprising there was an incident, though security acted as quickly as humanly possible.

OK, the arrangements are not the same as in the US, though there is an ever present risk of a serious attack, but in France if the President wants to do something, he will do it even against security advice. It is hardly the first time, think what happened to Sarkozy (which was more serious than yesterday's incident).

Still, it is inacceptable to slap or otherwise agresse the President, and it is also inacceptable when it comes to other elected members.

The notion of verbal violence, though, requires clarification. I see no issue with booing from a distance.

Next people will say that it is inacceptable for people to turn their backs when the President is in the vicinity.

Frankly, if he came across me and wanted to speak to me, I am not at all sure that I would wish to do so given that many of the most important issues I would want to raise would either just be 'noted' or he would tell me bla bla bla.

The only way to achieve change is through the ballot box, though demonstrations are equally important because they bring the issues to the attention of all.

I certainly do not want his autograph, nor to have a photo of me taken with him, nor to take a selfie of myself with him. Indeed, I would have stayed away from such an event - well, wouldn't want them counting me in the numbers of people wanting to shake his hand or whatever ;)

Most, if not all, commentators are saying that the level of social discontent has increased considerably over the past 4 years of his presidency. That is not about to improve.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
He got hit , until the assailants hand reached a certain point his intention would not have been apparent, and he did move very quickly.Sometimes things happen,to imply his security services moved slower than they could have is unfair
The point I am making is that Macron is not well liked. So mingling in crowds is not a good idea and his security team should tell him so. If he don't want to listen then this will happen.

But the guy could have been armed with a knife, fork, spoon. Even a pencil. He is a very lucky man that he was not.

Just saying.

But my problem is, he berates school kids (and there is another one where he berates a man in public) on TV/you tube or whatever. He sets no example to humanity. And the way he speaks to people makes him a target.

But he is a very arrogant man. Which is why he needs to be voted out. Which I think he will be.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
OK, the arrangements are not the same as in the US, though there is an ever present risk of a serious attack, but in France if the President wants to do something, he will do it even against security advice.
That actually used to be the attitude in the US, until there were a few "incidents" considerably more serious than getting slapped.

But yeah, I do sort of agree with Smeg that "Manny" can be an arrogant little prig, especially with the younger folks. He seems to want to be a "man of the people" but to have everyone accord him all the formalities they seem to so love here in France. (I find the level of formality here more than a little ridiculous - but that's the way it is, so you have to roll with it.)

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone looming on the horizon that would be a preferable candidate next year. So, back to voting for the "least awful" candidate. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That actually used to be the attitude in the US, until there were a few "incidents" considerably more serious than getting slapped.

But yeah, I do sort of agree with Smeg that "Manny" can be an arrogant little prig, especially with the younger folks. He seems to want to be a "man of the people" but to have everyone accord him all the formalities they seem to so love here in France. (I find the level of formality here more than a little ridiculous - but that's the way it is, so you have to roll with it.)

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone looming on the horizon that would be a preferable candidate next year. So, back to voting for the "least awful" candidate. Sigh.
Oh well, as they say, you never know your luck and someone who suits you might just put their hand up. It is not easy to run for the president in France, not just the funding, but also all those signatures from Mayors, not to mention finding 'militants' to support you, get the word out, do the hard yards, etc. Though I'm not sure it is easy in any country where the President or equivalent is directly elected. Then there is the possibility of arrangements between political parties yet to be explored or finalised.

The real issue, though, is that you cannot, or rather no one can, actually trust any of them. A sign that democracy is beginning to show signs of serious strain. And that applies to many 'western' developed countries.

But Macron as President seems intent on dividing France and our society. And as Smeg says, he is not liked by a great many.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
.................... But my problem is, he berates school kids (and there is another one where he berates a man in public) on TV/you tube or whatever. He sets no example to humanity. And the way he speaks to people makes him a target.

But he is a very arrogant man. Which is why he needs to be voted out. Which I think he will be.
Well there's someone, and maybe a whole family and their friends, who probably won't vote for him. How to turn a supporter into a opponent, in one quick lesson!

As a supposed diplomat one would expect him to be able to handle a bit of banter from a schoolboy without humiliating him in front of his peers, but from what I've heard that is often done in French schools, so may be an ingrained habit.

How much better to show a bit of sincere tolerance and good humour (if he has any) and explain in a nice way how the president should be addressed.

Handsome is as handsome does; moving into a palace seems to affect people in different ways.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Well there's someone, and maybe a whole family and their friends, who probably won't vote for him. How to turn a supporter into a opponent, in one quick lesson!

As a supposed diplomat one would expect him to be able to handle a bit of banter from a schoolboy without humiliating him in front of his peers, but from what I've heard that is often done in French schools, so may be an ingrained habit.

How much better to show a bit of sincere tolerance and good humour (if he has any) and explain in a nice way how the president should be addressed.

Handsome is as handsome does; moving into a palace seems to affect people in different ways.
It seems to have affected Macron from the moment of his election. Now, some will say he just wanted to differentiate himself from Hollande, though I don't believe that. In my view he is obsessed with power and formality, the latter more so - indeed much more so, than his recent predecessors.

He seems to me to have a serious personality flaw.

That said, it seems to me that the media is responsible for most of the polémiques that have arisen during the current Presidency.

The real danger, though, is that many, perhaps very very many, will just say WTF I'll vote MLP, it couldn't be any worse and it will give Macron a kick up the ***.

You could hardly blame them when you consider Darmanin's attitude.

Then take a look at some of the other 'key' ministries, and yes including Castex's attitude - that after a reshuffle in a lead up to the Presidential elections. Bruno Le Maire is still there and I don'tbelieve for one moment he has changed his views (very much to the right and austerity), but he is only too hapy to be a Minister and still in the limelight - after all, where would he be otherwise?

If Clémentine Autain were to stand (which could happen if JLM stands aside, I would vote for her. If Adrien Quatennens stodd (which again would be if JLM stands aside) I would defiinitely vote for him. Indeed, if Ruffin stands, I would likely vote for him because he over a great many years he has never swayed from his views and he is absolutely tireless.

They say a day is a long time in politics - in that case we are a long way from canditatures having to be declared and even further from the election itself, but there remains is very real and significant risk that MLP could win, and Macron's stance and that of the government and media makes that IMO even more likely.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts