Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

we received an email from the co that asks for PCC and Meds and the passport bio data pages. The email contains a note that says....

"NOTE: It is recommended that the primary applicant renews his passport to enable him to be issued with a machine readable passport."

the primary applicant in this application does not have a machine readable passport. Is it mandatory to apply for another passport that is machine readable? The letter says its 'recommended'.

please help.
thanks.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
While it is not mandatory it does make things easier to have a machine readable PP. How long before the current PP expires? If < 2 yrs I would proceed to get a new PP and then this issue is resolved.

Machine readable PPs have a MRZ at the bottom of the photo page so they get scanned through airport computers quickly. Also many E-visas are tied to Machine readable passports.

The latest passports also incorporate Biometric chips in the passport in addition to the MRZ.

Hello Everyone,

we received an email from the co that asks for PCC and Meds and the passport bio data pages. The email contains a note that says....

"NOTE: It is recommended that the primary applicant renews his passport to enable him to be issued with a machine readable passport."

the primary applicant in this application does not have a machine readable passport. Is it mandatory to apply for another passport that is machine readable? The letter says its 'recommended'.

please help.
thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response.
The passport has validity upto 2018. it was initially issued fro 20 years in 1998.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
OK, in that case just keep it. Interesting to know there are PP with such a long validity (most PP for adults have 10 yr validity).

thanks for the quick response.
The passport has validity upto 2018. it was initially issued fro 20 years in 1998.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hello Everyone,

please help.
thanks.
Hi

It is not must, however recommended. Mine is hand written not machine readable

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, in that case just keep it. Interesting to know there are PP with such a long validity (most PP for adults have 10 yr validity).
i think thats the only one year where applicants were given those passports with such long validity.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

It is not must, however recommended. Mine is hand written not machine readable
thanks for the reply. So, are there any extra procedures/steps that i should know or go through in this visa process since i do not hold a machine readable passport?

please share.
thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
mine also 20years validity issued in 1999.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Everyone,

please help.
thanks.
A quick update -
The Indian consulate would not update our passport since it has a long validity.
we conveyed the message to case officer and the Co was okay with it and proceeded with the older passport.
We finally have our visa.
the status changed to "Applicant Approved" today.
Thanks to every one on this forum for your help!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Great News, hope to see you over in the next few months :)

A quick update -
The Indian consulate would not update our passport since it has a long validity.
we conveyed the message to case officer and the Co was okay with it and proceeded with the older passport.
We finally have our visa.
the status changed to "Applicant Approved" today.
Thanks to every one on this forum for your help!

·
Registered
50 Posts
:clap2: hey congrates & thanks for sharing as lot of members on this forum is waiting to see DIAC back after holidays to start on our cases...:clap2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts