Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's the best place to get a MacBook Pro back up and running?
Hangs on start-up
No, it's not backed up! Eek.
Need someone less of a Luddite than me to massage it back to health!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Apple Authorised Service Providers are here!

I know this is silly, but I tend to base these types of things on quality or presence of website. As if someone's going to look at my mac, I want to at least know they know how to use one. ^^

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm on my second one. I've had a mac since 2006(?)

I'm pretty good at most things but I've sent it to the apple store once because the RAM kept falling out (fault with the physical hardware).

·
Registered
769 Posts
Plug it into another Mac .. and put the faulty one in Target Disk Mode ... copy your data out ... then you can easily restore the OSX.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Once more - Have you started it in Safe Mode ?

Boot from a disk or from a Boot USB if you have created one in the past.

Target Disk Mode only works with Firewire which newer macs don't have so that wouldn't necessarily work.

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

Be sure your Mac is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Started it up online (cmd R) and ran the utilities disk checker.
Can't repair it.

As soon as people get more complicated than turn it off and on, I get a red mist.

I need a little man to sort it.

Any one gave direct experience of one of the authorised service centres?

Not sure how to / if I can back it up at this point.
About 12 months of photos are my biggest concern....

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Okay, so it sounds like the OS is hosed but that doesn't necessarily mean that your data is lost.

If you take it to a authorised repair place, they might just swap out the hard disc and you'll lose it, so as someone else suggested, you need to get the data off the disc and reinstall the OS.

Do you have the system discs ? Does the machine have a disc drive or is it USB ports only ?

PS Buy a Portable Hard drive and Use Time Machine next time you Muppet ! ;)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so it sounds like the OS is hosed but that doesn't necessarily mean that your data is lost. If you take it to a authorised repair place, they might just swap out the hard disc and you'll lose it, so as someone else suggested, you need to get the data off the disc and reinstall the OS. Do you have the system discs ? Does the machine have a disc drive or is it USB ports only ? PS Buy a Portable Hard drive and Use Time Machine next time you Muppet ! ;)
Yes, I'm a muppet!
Yes, time machine next time, etc!
Yes, it has disk drive.
Looking through a box of stuff as yet unopened from move 18 months ago for disks....
Have the option to reinstall Lion online...
Not sure if that will help.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Okay, having a disc would be best as you can boot of that and reinstall OSX - and it should leave any data intact as long as you don;t choose the option to wipe the disc.

If you cannot find the boot discs, then if you know anyone else who has a Lion set you could use them.

If not, you can create a USB Boot disc like this

Make a Bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Installer from a USB Flash Drive

Its a quicker boot than of disc and I always carry a boot USB with me just in case.

If you cannot manage to get a boot disc created then let me know and I'll see if I can create one for you - mine is a much more recent OSX version so I could reload it with Lion if you're desperate. You could collect from my office in Bur Dubai on Thursday if you are stumped.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, having a disc would be best as you can boot of that and reinstall OSX - and it should leave any data intact as long as you don;t choose the option to wipe the disc. If you cannot find the boot discs, then if you know anyone else who has a Lion set you could use them. If not, you can create a USB Boot disc like this Make a Bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Installer from a USB Flash Drive Its a quicker boot than of disc and I always carry a boot USB with me just in case. If you cannot manage to get a boot disc created then let me know and I'll see if I can create one for you - mine is a much more recent OSX version so I could reload it with Lion if you're desperate. You could collect from my office in Bur Dubai on Thursday if you are stumped.
Just saw this!
I'm going to see if I can turn out any secret Mac aficionados in the office tomorrow.
If I draw a blank, I will definitely be in touch! Thanks for the kind offer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts