Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll be moving to Lyon in summer 2010 with our 2 daughters who will be 12 (US grades 7 and almost 14 (US grade 9) by then. We're considering Ombrosa and CSI (French is primary instruction language) and the International School of Lyon (English is primary instruction language with French taught as a foreign language). Other than the primary instruction language (we're leaning toward Ombrosa or CSI so that the girls will become fluent in French), can anyone share pros or cons on the 3 schools based on personal experience? Tuition cost is not a decision factor as my company will pay for this.

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

·
Administrator
51,297 Posts
Afraid I don't have any direct experience with the schools you mention, but you might want to contact AAWE to order a copy of their Guide to Education in France AAWE Publications

They have considerable information about many of the English and International schools in France, and some good advice about choosing schools for American kids living in France.

One of the big factors to consider is where you think the girls will be going to university - in the US, or somewhere in Europe - as you may find the schools' approaches will or won't prepare them for the relevant type of university.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Goodjaz,
My daughter is almost 14 and attends Ombrosa, it's a good school with an excellent record and a good mix of nationalities. It is for french children who want to learn english and children from overseas. They are taught mostly in french and supported by up to 14 hrs a week of french lessons. However my daughter's next school year is being taught in english. It's is very hard work with lots of exams, but that's true of all french schools, along with very very heavy backpacks. My daughter has made a lot of friends and although it was tough in the beginning she is now almost fluent in french after 18 months here. The school meals are lousy however and are compulsory, but no other complaints. Its a lovely old building on the river Soane and the school operates a bus service which covers most of Lyon. I don't know anything about the other schools I'm afraid.
Good luck with your move, drop me a line if you are in need of company once you have settled in!
Taffy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ombrosa

Hi Taffy,
Thanks for your message about Ombrosa and your daughter. In November we visited both Ombrosa and CSI. Ombrosa was beautiful but CSI seemed a good fit for both our girls in terms of integrating new kids who speak no French at first.

Did your daughter put up a fight about moving? My almost 14-year old is beyond resistant to this move and insists that I'm ruining her life. It doesn't help that we moved just over a year ago from one US state to another and it took her quite a while to make friends and adjust to her new school. What did you do to ease her into the move?

So many questions!!

Jennifer

·
Registered
5 Posts
coming to lyon

Jennifer,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, we didn't get too much resistance, just lots and lots of tears, we had moved to the area about 4/5 years prior to coming to France and it had taken her that long to really find her feet and settle down, so we were all concerned about uprooting her and starting over. I did say that she should give it 18 months and then see how things have worked out, if she really hated it we would consider what to do next. That time is now here and even though she has settled well, homesickness has kicked in for both of us, but that is a normal part of the process (so I'm told!) She hasn't asked to go back, but that could be because if we returned we wouldn't go back to the town we moved from anyway, we would find somewhere new and that would mean yet another new start!
I don't have any magic wand (unfortunately!!) and to most 14 year olds saying this is the opportunity of a lifetime means absolutely nothing.
One thing I will say is that the internet, facebook, skype, MSN etc all these things can really help you, by allowing you to stay in touch with people back home and we have really relied on them, not sure I would have coped without a computer!!
Also, there will be other kids in the same boat as she is (and you too) who will be ready to help her settle.
We will be here in Lyon too, so if you need a friendly face when you arrive, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me, I will be more than happy to offer whatever help you may need, my daughter is a similar age to yours, she will be 14 in May and she would be happy to help your daughter find her feet here.
Hope things go smoothly for you
Taffy
x

Thanks for your message about Ombrosa and your daughter. In November we visited both Ombrosa and CSI. Ombrosa was beautiful but CSI seemed a good fit for both our girls in terms of integrating new kids who speak no French at first.

Did your daughter put up a fight about moving? My almost 14-year old is beyond resistant to this move and insists that I'm ruining her life. It doesn't help that we moved just over a year ago from one US state to another and it took her quite a while to make friends and adjust to her new school. What did you do to ease her into the move?

So many questions!!

Jennifer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Taffy
Thanks for sharing your experience and that of your 14-year old daughter. I have many more questions for you, all related to moving to Lyon with kids, finding a community, find right housing, learning French, etc. Wonder if we could communicate via email? My email address is [email protected]. We'll be moving in June so I'm starting to get FRANTIC.

Regards,
Jennifer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ombosa

Hi.. thanks for your message. I am looking at Ombrosa in Chambery / Lac du Bourget as I may be based near there.. i have 2 kids in a swiss bilingual school where they have been for 18 months but they are not bilingual though manage ok... can anyone tell me anything about this other school.. are there any anglophones there.. what are the fees... I have looked all over the site and cannot see this.. they are closed for 2 weeks now so I cannot find out and am keen to know. .many thanks to anyone who can help.. nikki

Goodjaz,
My daughter is almost 14 and attends Ombrosa, it's a good school with an excellent record and a good mix of nationalities. It is for french children who want to learn english and children from overseas. They are taught mostly in french and supported by up to 14 hrs a week of french lessons. However my daughter's next school year is being taught in english. It's is very hard work with lots of exams, but that's true of all french schools, along with very very heavy backpacks. My daughter has made a lot of friends and although it was tough in the beginning she is now almost fluent in french after 18 months here. The school meals are lousy however and are compulsory, but no other complaints. Its a lovely old building on the river Soane and the school operates a bus service which covers most of Lyon. I don't know anything about the other schools I'm afraid.
Good luck with your move, drop me a line if you are in need of company once you have settled in!
Taffy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't Do It

We'll be moving to Lyon in summer 2010 with our 2 daughters who will be 12 (US grades 7 and almost 14 (US grade 9) by then. We're considering Ombrosa and CSI (French is primary instruction language) and the International School of Lyon (English is primary instruction language with French taught as a foreign language). Other than the primary instruction language (we're leaning toward Ombrosa or CSI so that the girls will become fluent in French), can anyone share pros or cons on the 3 schools based on personal experience? Tuition cost is not a decision factor as my company will pay for this.

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer
I would not make your daughters move to France. They are at an age where they are very sensitive to their surroundings and would not take well to it. I guess it depends on how react. I would personally send them to Ombrosa, as CSI might give them bad thoughts. But CSI has a better education. My daughter never forgave me for moving her to France, as she had been learning Spanish for the past 3 years. Never the less she speaks fluent French and hates me still. I am hoping she will forgive me but I'm still wondering. Good luck!
~Gabby Zinera

·
Registered
1 Posts
American boarding school with excellent education in Paris

Hi,

I live in Lyon, but I would recommend you this American boarding school in Paris for your 14-year old daughter. Note that there are TGV (French high-speed train) between Lyon and Paris every hour (journey lasts approximately 2 hours). This school looks pretty cool...:rolleyes: they prepare the High School diploma. Read the below information and have a look at their Website (nisparis) or contact them to ask for further information, they're really kind.

Notre-Dame International High School
[email protected]
106, Grande Rue
78480 Verneuil-sur-Seine
00 33 (0)4 78 52 03 85

Students aged 15 - 18
Grades 9 to 12
American curriculum, courses taught in English and French by natives, US HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA

INTRODUCTION
The Notre-Dame International high school is a private American school located in Verneuil-sur-Seine, only 30 minutes away from Paris by train. This private American school is established at Notre-Dame Les Oiseaux, a school which is well-known for its excellent education (one of the best in France) for more than 80 years now.

Notre-Dame International high school is part of the Saint Paul Preparatory school’s network, which educates students through the American High School system worldwide. Our students come then from all over the world.

Our graduation policy is internationally recognized, since it does correspond with the North Central Committee of Accreditation guidelines for college preparatory schools.

CURRICULUM
Notre-Dame International high school offers an American curriculum leading to the US High School Diploma in the French environment of Notre-Dame Les Oiseaux. In addition to the American curriculum taught by American teachers (ESL, Math, English, Social Studies, Science), the school offers an extensive French language and culture program as well as enrichment courses taught by French teachers (Music, Art and Physical Education).

STAFF
High qualified American teachers selected in the US and French Teachers from Notre-Dame Les Oiseaux.

FACILITIES
The facilities offered by our school include: classrooms, outdoor fields, computer rooms, modernized school libraries, language learning laboratory with related facilities and tools, two indoor gyms for basketball, handball and fitness activities, outdoor tennis field...

Notre-Dame International high school’s boarding quarters’ and host families’ options are also an asset, above all for international students living far away. Host families enable them to get fully immersed in the French culture.

SCHOOL YEAR AND SCHOOL DAY
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2010/2011
Winter semester: August 25th 2010 to February 3rd 2011
Spring semester: February 7th 2011 to end of June 2011

EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY
Our primary educational goal is to challenge students to become effective thinkers and communicators while cultivating the cross-cultural, leadership skills necessary for success in the global community.

Hope this will help. Welcome in France! :clap2:

Cheers!

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jennifer
I would not consider CSI. We visited last year in preparation for our move and found them very unhelpful and badly resourced. They didn't have an anti bullying policy or any adult classroom assistance to help our daughter with the parts of the curriulum taught in French. Instead we were told a child who could speak better French than her would act as a translator. We found this totally unacceptable. Our daughter attends ISL and is very happy. Please phone them and arrange for you children to visit. CSI wouldn't let our daughter come and look around and meet her future classmates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
CSI vs. Ombrosa

Hi Jennifer
Have you settled in Lyon yet? Our family is planning to make the same move next summer but from UK. We visited both schools and met the parents but still can't decide. CSI wouldn't confirm places until end of August before school starts. Any comments on those 2 schools would be much appreciated.
M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Moving to Lyon

Hi Jennifer

Did you get any info? I have just been offered a job in the same region and need to find an international school to the south of Lyon. I have G14 and B11.

Regards

Steve

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

We're in the same boat. Have a job offer to the south of Lyon. Would be looking to move the family there in July/Aug to start the new school year in Sept. G14 and B11 in September.

Did you get any info?

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

We're in the same boat. Have a job offer to the south of Lyon. Would be looking to move the family there in July/Aug to start the new school year in Sept. G14 and B11 in September.

Did you get any info?

Steve
Hi Steve,
I never heard back from Jennifer. However, from another thread, I made a new contact from somebody who lives in Lyon. We will try to meet up when we take our kids for a week visit to Lyon at half term. My husband and I have visited 3 schools in Lyon and decided on CSI. It is a French School with 8 foreign languages departments, English being one of them. The uncertainty about this school is that the children will have to take an entry exam on August 30 and only be told a few days later whether or not they are accepted.
Mindy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Steve,
I never heard back from Jennifer. However, from another thread, I made a new contact from somebody who lives in Lyon. We will try to meet up when we take our kids for a week visit to Lyon at half term. My husband and I have visited 3 schools in Lyon and decided on CSI. It is a French School with 8 foreign languages departments, English being one of them. The uncertainty about this school is that the children will have to take an entry exam on August 30 and only be told a few days later whether or not they are accepted.
Mindy
Hi Steve and Mindy,

My two kids have presented the entrance exams at CSI Lyon two weeks agao for the Senior school (Enterring Year 9 and 11 in the UK system). We will know the results by the end of May. My understanding is that you need to hurry up to send the application if you want to secure a place in August 30 entrance exams, the reason why is that children coming from aboad are prioritary, but the number of place is limited.
However it is a fantastic opportunity for them to learn French at the same time maintaining an English education. We plan to move to the East of Lyon in August 2011as well. Martin

·
Registered
13 Posts
CSI and moving to Lyon in August 2011

Hi Martin
We have put in the application at the start of the year and are planning to move to Lyon in August in time to take the test. We will be in Lyon this coming half term week for an "explore" trip looking around for what is available to rent, CSI and ballet school. I also contacted Lyon International a while ago and just got a dinner invite from a French family with children similar age. Hopefully we can get some more help from the locals. Are you using any relocation agent? If so, are they helpful?
M.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lyon

Hi Martin
We have put in the application at the start of the year and are planning to move to Lyon in August in time to take the test. We will be in Lyon this coming half term week for an "explore" trip looking around for what is available to rent, CSI and ballet school. I also contacted Lyon International a while ago and just got a dinner invite from a French family with children similar age. Hopefully we can get some more help from the locals. Are you using any relocation agent? If so, are they helpful?
M.
Mindy,
We have never used any relocation agent and the feed-back we had from our expat colleagues were not good on any country we have been unless you wanted to be directed in the most boring place in the city. But we have always been lucky to receive advices from folks from our companies for each move.

In Lyon, relocation agency may push you to live in the western area like Ecully, ... Not sure it is the best place if your children are in Gerland. Try to look at convenient place with a direct metro connection to the school of a bus line to get rid of the traffic jams first.

Lyon is not unfamiliar to us and in fact we are on the way back from the UK and have our home in the area. If we might be some help before, pending and after your arrival in Lyon don't hesitate to ask. Our kids will be G16 and B14 this year.
Martin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Martin
Thanks for the very kind offer. We will definitely take you up on it. I already have lots of questions to ask but will try to find out as much as we can while we will be in Lyon next week. Mindy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
csi??

did you move to lyon??

where are your kids in school??

we are considering csi for our bilingual kids...

please PLEASE share as much as yiu can on this topic!

thanks

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts