Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a bit trivial, but I'm having a hard time at work with my lunch breaks. I work at a small mall in dubai and although I work in the offices part of the building where we have a pantry, its not big enough to accommodate large crowds of people during break. Hence, I use the general food court for this. Recently, I got a memo from the mgmt of the mall for using mall space for lunch. Upon further inquiring, they informed that it is against mall policy to allow people working in the offices to use food court for lunch. What should I do ? I do not have any other place to go and due to my health, I should have food during the specific time.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Probably speak to your own employer?
Eat at your desk?
Eat in a conference room?
Bring food that you can eat at your desk or in a conference room?

What else do you have in mind?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Employer does not want food smell in the office. Its a small office. Don't know what to do either, and food from outside is out of the equation as my body does not like outside food even if it came from heaven.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Adjust and find a corner in the pantry where you can eat your food. Sorry to be harsh but it looks like you and your body need to adapt. An entire office is not going to make changes for the sake of one person, it's got to be the other way around.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm guessing the OP is bringing curries or other Indian dishes that emit strong smells when heated up in the pantry microwave.

If that's the case, the OP may not be aware how unpleasant the smell may be to those who don't enjoy the same cuisine.

Her choice is to either eat her food cold or eat something that doesn't have a smell.

To me the solution is pretty simple: don't bring smelly food

What's wrong with a sandwich with cheese these days?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand. I made the change of going to the general food court. It was just that I found it being wrong saying someone not to have food in the general food court when I'm not disturbing anyone

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Or just ignore the memo and continue to eat in the food court because it's monumentally petty and pointless.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I understand. I made the change of going to the general food court. It was just that I found it being wrong saying someone not to have food in the general food court when I'm not disturbing anyone
Well, apparently there are rules with regards to that, as you expressed earlier. It's the same as getting a fine while driving 300km/h on SZR when there is no traffic and then saying that you shouldn't get the fine because you're not disturbing anyone...

You have a couple of options:
1. Don't bring smelly food and eat it in the office
2. Bring smelly food, eat it in the food court and get fired
3. Bring smelly food, eat it in the office and get fired

Is this thread really serious? You could have solved this yourself, no?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
It was just that I found it being wrong saying someone not to have food in the general food court when I'm not disturbing anyone
Not that you can sue anyone for this.
There are no rules one way or the other and more a question of policy - unfortunately for you the mall has taken a particular stance, and I do not think you can do anything about it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are you taking your own food in and eating it at the food court, taking up a space of a paying customer? If so the malls view is understandable.

As everyone as said, you have loads of options. If the canteen in the office is full for an hour why don't you just go 20 minutes earlier or 20 minutes later than everyone else?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,074 Posts
Hi,
I assume the mall policy is being enforced because you are bringing your own food to the tables and eating that - rather than buying food from one of the mall food outlets.
If that is the case - then I fully understand that rule - as the food outlets will be paying high rents and would rightly be upset if people sit down and eat food that they did not buy from them!
If your company does not provide you with an adequate space to eat your food then I would be eating at my desk - it is their tough luck if you smell out the office.
Cheers
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts