Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm from Toronto, Canada and will soon be moving to England to be with my husband. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience with good international luggage shipping companies? I've heard about companies that will ship any amount of luggage for you to your desired destination. I'd like to only travel with one suitcase and my carry-on to avoid a multiple luggage hassle at the airport. Thanks :)!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi Nadiya! I came to the UK from the US. I looked into shipping with UPS but the small amount I had to ship (four biggish boxes) worked out to be less expensive going through the USPostalService. My things arrived in good time, I was very happy with both the savings and the service. And I loved being able to zip through airport lines with just the rolling carry-on and one rolling suitcase, wowsa did that make a difference!

Depending on how much you have to ship you may find your postal service to be a better value. If you have quite a bit to ship, UPS may be your most satisfactory choice as they have a good reputation from what I've heard from friends coming over from the US, Canada, and Latin America. I used them to ship quite a lot of my things back from Guatemala back in the mid-90s and they were great.

Hope this helps a little:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AnAmericanInScotland said:
Hi Nadiya! I came to the UK from the US. I looked into shipping with UPS but the small amount I had to ship (four biggish boxes) worked out to be less expensive going through the USPostalService. My things arrived in good time, I was very happy with both the savings and the service. And I loved being able to zip through airport lines with just the rolling carry-on and one rolling suitcase, wowsa did that make a difference!

Depending on how much you have to ship you may find your postal service to be a better value. If you have quite a bit to ship, UPS may be your most satisfactory choice as they have a good reputation from what I've heard from friends coming over from the US, Canada, and Latin America. I used them to ship quite a lot of my things back from Guatemala back in the mid-90s and they were great.

Hope this helps a little:)
Hi AnAmericanInScotland!
Thanks for the quick reply. So when you shipped your things via your postal service, it arrived accordingly? I would most likely be shipping the equivalent of a 40-50lb suitcase. Do you think UPS would be the better choice for that amount of things? I've read a lot of good and not-so-good things about those luggage shipping companies. So if I can go the UPS route, I think that would be safer choice. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi AnAmericanInScotland!
Thanks for the quick reply. So when you shipped your things via your postal service, it arrived accordingly? I would most likely be shipping the equivalent of a 40-50lb suitcase. Do you think UPS would be the better choice for that amount of things? I've read a lot of good and not-so-good things about those luggage shipping companies. So if I can go the UPS route, I think that would be safer choice. Thanks again!
I shipped my four boxes through the US Postal Service (a US Government organisation) in late August 2010, cost me just under $300USD for priority shipping, UPS quoted closer to $500USD, so I went with USPS (Postal Service, not UPS which is United Parcel Service and has zero connection to the US Government).

One of the boxes beat me to the UK, lol, the other three arrived a couple of days later. No damage, and well within the promised delivery date.

Check with your postal service, shipping what you have through your postal service to the UK might be less expensive especially if you can ship non-priority. It would have taken a couple of weeks if I'd shipped non-priority but the rates would have been under $200. I needed my things in a hurry so I went the extra but it was still less than UPS.

UPS is the most reliable as far as I can tell if you don't use Canada's postal service. Royal Mail here is great, and if you choose to use Canadian post, once it hits the UK Royal Mail can be trusted-jmho, I've heard other opinions about the Royal Mail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am moving in June from the US to the UK and am planning on using an excess baggage company as I do not want the hassle of taking boxes to the Post Office. It costs $199 for the first box and $100 for each additional box and takes about 8 weeks. It is door to door, and the length of time does not matter to me. You can also pay more for air freight .

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
LOL, my husband would have rethought the wedding if I'd spent $200 on the first box and then another $300 on the three I also sent on. OK, he's erm, Scottish. Very careful with his pocket. I can just hear what he'd have said if I told him I preferred not to lug a bunch of boxes to the PO.

I do know what you mean though, Clarebarr, I was on line at the PO for over an hour after dragging those boxes into the PO, lol! Still, I did save a lot of money. A lot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's nothing compared to what I'm spending to bring my dog over. And I can't even carry one 60lb box with my back problems, let alone the amount I have. Glad it worked for you though.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Oh ouch, back troubles! I rehomed two cats and a dog with my son and his wife (grandson over the moon at that) but I did look into bringing them over-ooooooooooooh is that pricey!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, UPS seems a bit steep! But considering they're more likely to be more reliable than a luggage shipping company, spending the extra buck would definitely be worth it. I wouldn't wanna use a company just because they're cheap and risk my package getting lost! Anyway, I'm going to get a quote from UPS and the Canadian Postal office, then choose between the two. Thanks AmericanInScotland and everyone who responded :).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm using Suddath moving company, they pack me, ship me, deliver and unpack (i'm a bit uncomfortable being unpacked, but they take the boxes away when they do so i'll suck it up). I'm taking more than a few boxes, I have a few furniture items too, but they gave me what I feel was a decent quote, and they've been very helpful.

Clarebarr, moving my dog is the most expensive part of this move! so I feel your pain. His airfare cost more than my moving costs and 3x my airfare!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm using Suddath moving company, they pack me, ship me, deliver and unpack (i'm a bit uncomfortable being unpacked, but they take the boxes away when they do so i'll suck it up). I'm taking more than a few boxes, I have a few furniture items too, but they gave me what I feel was a decent quote, and they've been very helpful.

Clarebarr, moving my dog is the most expensive part of this move! so I feel your pain. His airfare cost more than my moving costs and 3x my airfare!
Yes. I just paid my dog's shipping fees and it is indeed 3X my airfare!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow, UPS seems a bit steep! But considering they're more likely to be more reliable than a luggage shipping company, spending the extra buck would definitely be worth it. I wouldn't wanna use a company just because they're cheap and risk my package getting lost! Anyway, I'm going to get a quote from UPS and the Canadian Postal office, then choose between the two. Thanks AmericanInScotland and everyone who responded :).
Are you shipping only luggage or are you moving house? What is your budget?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Further up from the post you quote the OP, she says she has a single piece weighing about 50lbs. Lol, wouldn't it be great to move house on 50lbs!

I'm becoming very curious to know what the cost quote was from the Canadian Post. I shipped my pitiful lot from the US on USPS and I think US international postage has skyrocketed since then. I wonder if that's the same with Canada.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The things i'm moving will take 1 freight container and my quote for that was right at $2000. I wish I only had a few boxes, still I don't think that's a bad price all things considered.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It doesn't include insurance, I think that was another $200? Which I'll def get. I got my quote a few months ago so I don't remember the exact cost of that. Suddath has been really great, and my rep has been very patient with me and my endless questions lol

Oh I should probably clarify my container. He said the big containers you see on the ships each have 5 containers on the inside of them, and it's one of the inside containers that i'm using. He also said i'm saving alot of money by shipping my container with someone elses. They will bring the container to my house and pack me up and load it, they are very experienced at this and know how to use the space best, then I will lock and seal it. They also help with the customs forms and they have a rep in the UK that will go meet the container and assist with customs.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thank-you for the clarification, I thought you were getting a full on container for that price, and I was amazed at the price.

That's still not a bad price at all for everything you're getting, well done on finding such an affordable company.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BailyBanksBiddle said:
Hi Baily!
I'm only shipping luggage. I'm moving, but into my husband's home, so I'll only be sending clothes, etc. Ummm I'm looking at a budget of no more than $250?.... not sure what the going rate is...

Thanks,
Nadiya

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just a quick note,

You may be charged at this end too depending on what you are sending and the cost of it. When i moved back home from Japan I sent a picture in a frame home (through the post office) and 3 small boxes. I was charged for the picture because it was above a specific price range. I cant remember exactly but it was worth about £200 or so, they charged me an extra £50 on my end or they were keeping it at customs.

I think UK customs has a calculator on its web page where you can check stuff.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.