Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Expats,

Can someone advise on low rental cost areas in Melbourne near to public transport. I know we have Gumtree but since i've never been to Melbourne, i request inputs from expats already living there with indicative figures. I will be reaching Melbourne in June end.
Since I dont have a job in hand, I don't mind living in suburbs and spending time to travel. My only criterias are safety and public transport.

Regards,
tom

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Expats,

Can someone advise on low rental cost areas in Melbourne near to public transport. I know we have Gumtree but since i've never been to Melbourne, i request inputs from expats already living there with indicative figures. I will be reaching Melbourne in June end.
Since I dont have a job in hand, I don't mind living in suburbs and spending time to travel. My only criterias are safety and public transport.

Regards,
tom
You can get decent studios in CBD for $350. That would be cheap+safe+well connected and you don't have to pay for transport.

Check http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can also search for 1 bhk houses in Real Estate, Property & Homes For Sale - realestate.com.au -> rent section. There are houses within 250 per week ...

Hi Expats,

Regards,
tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
If your criteria safety is important than it is better to chose the CBD! Suburbs are cheaper but the risk is higher to be attacked!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If your criteria safety is important than it is better to chose the CBD! Suburbs are cheaper but the risk is higher to be attacked!
omg that sounds scary. Are suburbs that unsafe.

Are there any sharing options available (may be a bit far from city but well connected) within 150 per week budget.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A $150 a week budget means you are going to be looking at the riskier side of town. You need to look at share accommodation (sharing a room not a house) within a share house with multiple people. The character of your share mates is also a risk but with that low a budget you are going to find it hard to find a place in a "safe" area

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does anyone know some safe and decent neighbourhoods in Melbourne? Safety is my prime concern and I am ready to shell out a few extra bucks for that. Proximity to CBD, good transportation would be an added bonus. Please suggest some good neighborhoods.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Does anyone know some safe and decent neighbourhoods in Melbourne? Safety is my prime concern and I am ready to shell out a few extra bucks for that. Proximity to CBD, good transportation would be an added bonus. Please suggest some good neighborhoods.
Anywhere within 10 km of the CBD is generally fine. But those are also the most desirable and this expensive places to live. $150/week is basically impossible even in the less desirable areas unless you are fine with living in a rat and roach infested dump. Or you'll be in the middle of nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
If you look at the crime stats the CBD has among the highest crime rates in all of Melbourne. It has a really transient population and is not generally considered to be a desirable place to live.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Expats,

Regards,
tom
Hi you can use this site www.domain.com.au

1 - 11 of 11 Posts