Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new to this forum and so happy to come across it. :) I hope to find some answers to my questions with your help.

I am a mother who desperately wants to learn French and study art in France for a couple of years. I just want to take various art classes to further explore the creative side of me while studying French and provide an opportunity for my daughter (3 years old) to immerse in a new language and culture. I've done my homework searching online but haven't discovered ways to accomplish this dream. I could enroll in a french language school but then where do I take art classes which is equally important if not more? Are there language schools based in French public universities and allow their students to take some classes at the university? I know it's called "Open university" in US schools. Another great option would have been studying abroad, but I've already graduated from college, so that option is out the window, sadly. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to make my plans come true?

Also, I'd like to stay in a region or city where people are generally friendly and nice. Since my daughter will be joining me, it has to be a safe and kids-friendly place and has access to plenty of parks, nature and outdoor activities. Can you recommend some places? I'd truly appreciate your help!

Many thanks!

·
Administrator
51,625 Posts
The universities in France don't generally cater to non-degree students. For what you're looking for, you probably need to pursue something in the private sector, something along the lines of "continuing education."

There's always the Sorbonne's courses in French language and civilisation. And the Louvre has an art school you could attend "on the side" - though I suspect you'll need to start with the language classes and then pick up the art classes once you have enough French to deal with them.

Or, there are various "artists' retreats" in the south of France - generally for a week or two and often conducted in English. Those, you could work into your vacation periods from the French classes.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
Hello!

I am new to this forum and so happy to come across it. :) I hope to find some answers to my questions with your help.

I am a mother who desperately wants to learn French and study art in France for a couple of years. I just want to take various art classes to further explore the creative side of me while studying French and provide an opportunity for my daughter (3 years old) to immerse in a new language and culture. I've done my homework searching online but haven't discovered ways to accomplish this dream. I could enroll in a french language school but then where do I take art classes which is equally important if not more? Are there language schools based in French public universities and allow their students to take some classes at the university? I know it's called "Open university" in US schools. Another great option would have been studying abroad, but I've already graduated from college, so that option is out the window, sadly. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to make my plans come true?

Also, I'd like to stay in a region or city where people are generally friendly and nice. Since my daughter will be joining me, it has to be a safe and kids-friendly place and has access to plenty of parks, nature and outdoor activities. Can you recommend some places? I'd truly appreciate your help!

Many thanks!
You don't say how you would support yourself and your daughter while learning a new language and its culture etc.

Would you need to work or are you going to be self-sufficient?

The answer to this will probably affect the visa you have to obtain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ShelleyD

Hi Sohina7

I am new to this site and hope I can get some info from you. You posted Aug 2012 that you would like to visit France to learn the language and to take art classes. I am at this stage now. I would like to learn French and attend drawing and painting classes at a beginners level. I am also a senior. If you view this I would really like to hear what your experience has been so far

Thanks. Shelley's

·
Administrator
51,625 Posts
This is sort of an old thread - though much of the advice posted here pretty much still applies.

Basically, you'd need to go for either a student visa or a visitor visa. In either case, you'd need to be able to show financial resources adequate to support yourself for the duration of your studies, or for a year at a time (for the visitor visa) plus private health coverage. Probably the visitor visa would be the "easier" of the two visas - and as a "visitor" there is nothing against your taking classes to your heart's content. The one big thing is that you wouldn't be able to work - you'd have to have some source of funding, like a pension or personal savings.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
ShelleyDornellas

Thanks for your advice about finances and visa. I am looking for a three to four months stay not a full year. I don't plan to work just to study French and art. I am interested in safe places and good schools. Either in Paris or south of France. Any info in appreciated

Thanks. Shelley

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for your advice about finances and visa. I am looking for a three to four months stay not a full year. I don't plan to work just to study French and art. I am interested in safe places and good schools. Either in Paris or south of France. Any info in appreciated

Thanks. Shelley
Hello Shelly - If it's 90 days or less then it seems like you don't need anything special if you are Canadian. So if you can make your 3-4 months into just 3 months, I think you are set.

See the "Do I need a visa?" from the Consulat général de France à Vancouver (I can't post links):
- Canadian passport holders do not need a short stay visa to go to France for less than 90 days per semester even for working purpose. If you are going to work in France, you just have to make sure that your employer has obtained for you the work authorization by the French Labor Departement (DIRECCTE) before you start working.

·
Administrator
51,625 Posts
As far as locations go, you'll pretty much have to go with where you can find the courses you are interested in pursuing. Paris is probably the motherload, though living in Paris can be expensive.

There are residential art courses throughout the south of France (many in English, even) but they may or may not allow for taking language classes on the side. There are French language classes/schools in many (maybe most) larger cities in France, but you may have more difficulty finding the art classes in the same area.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1 Posts
To learn to communicate in a best way, I think you should start with small french words. I think self learning is more fruitful than learning it from any other regular classes. For beginner it would be a best practice to explore things from internet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts