Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really need some advice and pointing in the right direction, I am a British citizen and my partner is a US citizen, we are both 50 and want to be together, I am loking at going to the US for 3 months to be with her and sort some things out, then we are looking at coming back to the U.K for 6 months, then we could live in southern Ireland for 3 months and then go to France or Spain for 3 months, we just want to be together and dont care where we have to live, I am confused with so many things I have read and can only see this as a viable option to begin with, we just want to be together and really need some advice, Thank you in advance

·
Administrator
50,767 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger - there are many forum members with a similar problem.

The first thing to do is to figure out where you'd LIKE to live together - UK, US or somewhere else. If it's either the US or UK, you'll need to consider getting married, as that will give you the ability to file for a spouse visa and all the rights and privileges that go with that status. Both the US and UK have financial requirements for the one spouse to be able to support the other, which means some sort of minimum annual income. For the US, you can get a co-sponsor to cover the financial requirement.

You can bounce from country to country - but for the Schengen countries in the EU, while you have the right to stay as long as you like, your US better half is only allowed 90 days in a 180 day period, so would have to exit the Schengen zone for 90 days after spending a full 90 days in.

I suppose the next question is: how will you be supporting yourselves? If one or the other of you has a job that meets the financial requirements of your home country, that might be a reason to consider settling there. Granted, the spouse visa is kind of pricey either place, but it could be worth it to avoid having to do the nomad routine.

Take a look in both the American and the British forums here. There are lots of posts related to spouse and fiancé visas and those might give you some ideas.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
You can bounce from country to country - but for the Schengen countries in the EU, while you have the right to stay as long as you like, your US better half is only allowed 90 days in a 180 day period, so would have to exit the Schengen zone for 90 days after spending a full 90 days in.
This paragraph refers to unmarried couples, it should be noted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem. I'm UK, she's Hong Kong.

We've looked at a number of places and the problem is the same: They want us to have been living together for 1-2 years but won't let us live together.

NZ: I can get in but we need to prove living together for 1-2 years. Too old for working holiday visa.
UK: I can swap from contracting to meet the £19k threshold but we still need to prove living together.
Spain, EU: Not sure. I think same problem. I don't see any info for 2 people from kinda outside Spain.
HK: Not sure. My health can't handle the pollution though. Perhaps I need to move there to get that 1 year? Cycle in and out every 3 months.

Money isn't a big problem. She has a financial commitment in HK and doesn't want to go somewhere without something concrete in place, leaving job and everything. Whilst I understand that very much, I feel we have to be flexible in the extreme for this - should I concentrate on getting her to give up everything to play the visa game for me?

I've been in this situation a few times before. A support network is much needed.

·
Administrator
50,767 Posts
One additional consideration in your case, jago: some countries will recognize "de facto couples" (which is where the 1 to 2 years of living together comes in) and others won't. Also, some countries have forms of "civil union" that are something short of marriage, and sometimes they will recognize a civil union performed elsewhere as equivalent to their own.

Getting married is the usual solution for something like this. However if that's not an option (for whatever reason) you may be looking at separate visas. You don't need one for any other EU country - but she will, especially if she wants to work. Without being married, that can be tricky to arrange.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts