Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My husband and I are looking to move to Cyprus later this year so have lots of questions etc. My first one is can any one explain the IMT tax the property we are hoping to buy is only small and is only £75000 so i am not sure what we will need to pay etc

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Hi Louise,
Welcome to the forum.
I have moved your post into a thread of its own to the main discussion forum so that you can use the thread to ask any questions you have.

As far as IPT (immovable property tax) goes if you have anything to pay it will a very very small amount. We paid under €100 and our property is a lot more than the one you are looking at buying.
Its all a bit confusing since the rule was changed and properties revalued for IPT as now many properties which fell below the threshold old 1980 threshold now come into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Many thanks Veronica this may then allow me to spend a little more on a house in cyprus.

Can anyone guide me to information about what i would be entitled to health care wise as i am type 2 diabetic do i need private insurance if so any information about how i get this

Also does what about title deeds how does this affect things please

sorry such a lot of questions but this is a massive but exciting move for us

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Your health care entitlement depends on whether either you or your husband are in receipt of state retirement pension. If either one of you is getting your pension that entitles you both to state healthcare here.
If not, you will need private insurance or simply to pay as you go. Insurance companies won't cover you for anything connected to your diabetic status. If you need to claim for anything they will try to find a way to blame it on your diabetis.

Although we are both on state pensions my husband and I tend to go private whenever we can although we have insurance for the big nasty illnesses.
We use the state hospital for some things like blood tests, xrays etc to keep costs down.

Veronica

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
I forgot to say, if you or your husband will be working here and pay into the social fund you will be able to use the state hospitals as well.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I wouldn't worry about IPT. It is trivial compared to anything you pay in the UK.

I would worry about title deeds though. If you can't see the actual deeds then beware. Do not take the sales agent, vendor or solicitors' word that they are "available". See the proof before proceeding.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
I wouldn't worry about IPT. It is trivial compared to anything you pay in the UK.

I would worry about title deeds though. If you can't see the actual deeds then beware. Do not take the sales agent, vendor or solicitors' word that they are "available". See the proof before proceeding.

Pete
Also if they 'are available' but havn't been paid for by the owner it can cause problems with certain developers who will charge large amounts simply to sign the transfer document. Make sure the deeds are in the owners name.

·
Banned
403 Posts
Have you thought about renting for a while first. Get a proper feel of the area's that may be of interest to you. Check out prices of the for sale property. Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts