Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Steve....couldn't find an 'Introduce yourself sticky' in the French forum so decided to create a new post.

I'm originally from the UK, been living in France for OMG nearly 25 years. work for Eurotunnel as a computer tech so I live in Boulogne sur Mer. Have been divorced and married again recently to a beautiful Chinese girl hence my introduction to the perils of the UK visa and immigration laws :fingerscrossed: and me starting to post on this amazing website.

Well that’s all for now folks! :)

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your recent marriage. How come you got "introduced" to UK visa and immigration law if you live in France (and have done so all these years)?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Bev,

Lol I warn you that’s a long story ;)) When I originally came to France as we were both from the UK it was never an issue so it never even occurred to me. But having got divorced I met my wife in China while on holiday and having been on several visits to China since we eventually arranged her first visit to France. Yes it can be frustrating sometimes about all the procedures and paperwork etc. But at least they tell you exactly what documents you must provide in triplicate ;)) and if you do that there’s no problem and she could stay up to a maximum of 90 days in every 180.
I still have family in the UK. My dad passed away almost 2 years ago and now my mum is living on her own (she's 82) I try to visit frequently plus I have other family living in other parts of the UK so we tried for a UK visa and it was a bloody nightmare. Maybe I was naive but I really didn’t think there would be any problems.
Sherry had been grant, by that time, 2 French visas, I had a life in France, Mum wrote a letter saying that we would be staying with her etc. etc. but…well it was the impression I got they think everyone wants to go to the UK and stay there. The UK online visa application then was rubbish, there was nothing to say about her French visits etc. Yes I wrote letters and provided proof of earnings and a load of other buff to try to show everything was genuine, Sherry provided the same and both included official translations which when you think we were asking to stay over Christmas and New-year I think it worked out we had paid around £80 a day and the ironical thing was when Sherry handed the papers in they didn’t even check them.
And then to add insult to injury they refused the visa be they felt “on the balance of probabilities she had no intention of leaving the UK” well I can’t write my thoughts here but if they could have bottled it they would have got to the moon and back!

Well that was a shorten version lol so where do you hang out?

cheers

Steve

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
Ah yes, bureaucracy, ain't it great! <eg>

I'm here in France now and have been for about 20 years, so I'm kind of even getting used to the place. I've got my own, long, involved nightmare from my early days here - suffice it to say that I had been living in Germany and it was clear at the time that the French consulate in Germany had no idea what to do with an American who wanted to move to France. Wound up getting married to my French (at the time) boyfriend - though that started up a whole 'nuther series of errors, misunderstandings with the Administration. Two years later, I finally got a residence permit (a 10 year one, to boot!) and rather than hassle with them again on renewal, I took French nationality.

But yes, things have much improved over the last 20 years - if only because of the Service Public website, which gives you a written base to start from!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thankfully it has changed a lot here in France. When I first came I almost got deported back to the UK now I don't need a Carte de Séjour. WOW your French must be pretty good to have taken French nationality.

Unfortunately the UK is still in the dark ages and going backwards. If I didn't have family there it wouldn't be necessary to go and we could avoid all the hassle of visas or EEA family permits.

Take care
Steve

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
Nah, the UK is just caught up in a political go-round at the moment and the current government is trying to look tough on immigration. Not unlike the situation when I got here - back in the days of Air Juppé and the hunger strike at St. Bernard's in Paris (the one where they hacked through the church door with an ax). Let's just say I didn't feel too "welcome" as a foreigner in France back then. (And oddly enough, my ancestors came from France via Canada - so technically I was coming back "home.")

Besides, neither of us has ever had to deal with US immigration, and that one can be a real nightmare, depending on your circumstances!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's true the uk is caught up in some political turmoil right now but it isn't that I feel concerned about. Like you when I first came here I wasn't made to feel welcome by the French authorities not by the locals I might add. I didn't agree with it but I could understand. ......we weren't French we were foreigners !

The UK has been forced to change its stance for non-EEA family members but have made no such changes for their own UK citizens living abroad, who probably have more genuine reasons to travel to the uk. I've never experienced the US authorities but I seriously can't think of any other civilised country that would treat it's own citizens so badly.
Take care
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts