Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I thought I would join this website as need some help!!!

I moved to France 5 weeks ago to live with my boyfriend. We are in the Pauillac area, which is an hour from Bordeaux. The French language is coming but very much beginner level.

I would love to have some English people to speak to/meet with. I am feeling very lonely & homesick and, although I understand it is early days, aside from my partner's family, I have no one.

I know that gaining the language is the most important thing for me but obviously will take some time.

If there is anyone in a similar situation or who can offer some advice - I would love to hear from you. I wasn't naïve about this move but has proven to be more difficult than I thought.

Would be grateful for any comments/help/advice.....please!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

·
Registered
661 Posts
Settling in a new culture is very challenging. You are doing the right thing in trying to meet people.

Maybe you can post the same message on Anglo info, in the area where I live it is very active and some meet ups are organized.
Also check Facebook if there are any local group, again there are some very active ones around here.

I hope you will soon be meeting someone you can chat with for a long time over a cup of tea!

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Administrator
51,305 Posts
Welcome to the club! I think most of us who came here to be with or get married with a French person go through some of the same bouts of loneliness and down time. (Lord knows, I did!)

But regardless of the English speakers you can locate, right now is the time to strike out and try to make new friends of your own. It's right about now that all the associations in France are getting back in action after the summer holidays. See if your town is holding a forums des associations, or if they publish a booklet or brochure about the various clubs and associations in town. (Most associations are sponsored or backed by the local mairie, so they get publicity through the mairie.) Find something that interests you - photography or exercise or hiking or whatever - and see about joining a group. If you can find any group with "Accueil" in their title, even better. These are usually newcomer or welcome clubs of some variety - and you may even find a few other foreigners there.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Get interested and knowledgeable on wines. Make friends with some of the guides or help in the chateaux´s. It is not easy because it is a pretty close world but you will find people working for the wine properties who will speak English especially in Pauillac.
I would say you landed in a tough area but everything is possible if you put your mind to it.Check out with Lafite, Latour ( British owned) , Haut Brion Dillon family owned in Pessac, Lynch Bages, Cordeillan Bages and so on somewhere someone will need someone wo speaks English to receive their visitors or do odds and end things.
Being out of your element and having bouts of loneliness is the fate of people who marry or move outside of their culture so get used to it or you will not make it.
Learn as much French as fast as possible and get involved around where you live. Good luck it is very difficult but a friend of mine moved to Pauillac and married one of the wealthiest man in the Bordeaux wine busieness so everything is possible..

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Soon it will be the harvest and there will be a lot of young people around working in the vineyards, get to know some, network to get to know the needs of the wine properties. If your boyfriend is from there he has to know people and help you get to know some people around.
It is normal to feel the way you do after 5 weeks so you will get over it but get busy because Pauillac is not a hot spot of entertainement to say the least and it is going to be up to you to meet people. Harvest time is a good time to meet new blood and foreigners and June is another time of fesival in the Bordeaux area with the Fete de la Fleur and various other events in between these two times unless you are part of the community it is pretty grim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for all your help and advice.

I'll definitely have to persevere with the French, until I have mastered that I think I will struggle. Have applied to some chateau's with not alot of luck so far.

Thanks for recommending websites and associations, all suggestions greatly appreciated.

It is early days, but have to agree with "citlali"........Pauillac is not a buzzing big city like London, which of course I knew before I moved here, but without the 'big events' things are pretty quiet so it would help greatly to have some English speaking people to share a glass of the fabulous wine (or cup of tea) in this pretty region. I thought, given it being such a tourist domain, it would be easier to find some English people or demand for English speaking jobs but not so at the moment. The harvest will be starting shortly so will bear your comments in mind.

Many thanks to you all for your comments. :)

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jesus from London to Pauillac, taling about culture shock! I went from Paris to Mobile Ala in the 70´s and I thought that was culture shock but you beat me on that one!
There are lots of chateaux , something will pop up eventually. Jobs tend to be passed on from father to son or mother to daughter, that area is hard to crack but if you persevere you will get in, will not be easy but do learn French , learn as much as you can about the wine business and the wines or any industy related to wine as it the wine ndustry and tourism is just about it in the area .
The wine people tend to stick together but they do meet each other in the local restaurants. I retired 12 years ago so I do not remember the name of the places but there one one place in Pauillac where we would always go with the owners of the chateaux. They do get together at the rotary club and unfortunately also do a lot of entertaining at their own properties.
We used to stay at the chateaux or at Cordeillan -Bages. It was a nice hotel and had quite a few foreign visitors although it is a small place. They used to have cooking classes there, do not know if they still do it but check everything out as there is not a whole lot of things going on. The busy time of the year is about to start but after the harvest it is dead so you will have lots of time to devote to learning French.:)
Good luck to you.
Bordeaux would be a more interesting place to live in if your friend could do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.