Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bouncing around the US has made me wonder about moving overseas.

An electric wheelchair helps me get around right now, and I wonder how it affects my travel/expatriation options. It feels necessary right now, though I dream of healing my Multiple Sclerosis.

On one hand I hope to find a more affordable country to help me stretch my disability dollars. However, I need to find a country compatible with wheelchair traffic. I fared well enough in San Francisco with their public transit.

Options exist, and I just need to sort through them. Realistic input is appreciated. Thanks!

Ethan

·
Administrator
50,374 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade, but the US has the most accommodating laws regarding handicapped access of just about anywhere on earth. Certainly here in Europe, there are lots of laws on the books, but due to various factors, they are often acknowledged only very nominally, if at all.

And unfortunately, the more "affordable" the country, the less likely there will be the laws and facilities available to make day to day life accessible.

On the expatriation side of things, in countries with the best social insurance systems, you'll most likely find that you will encounter bars to entry if it's suspected that you're interested in the local benefit system. In France, for example, you are required to carry your own private health insurance unless you enter on a work visa where you would be paying into the social insurance system.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts