Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My neighbor lost his dog. What is the best way for him to find her? In the US, very often, animal shelters will pick up strays, and you can call.

Any resources or experience would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you live in the country, try the mairie and the gendarmerie, then the local SPA.
In town, enquire directly at the SPA.
Oh, and the local vet might be able to help.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Google "chien perdu" and your area (departement or town). There are some online listings of lost pets and found pets and there are organizations that maintain message boards by area that you can search. But the best way (at least the one that worked when my cat went missing) is to put up posters all around town with a picture of said pet and basic info on when and where he went missing, and the phone number to contact if seen or found.

The local merchants are usually very good about posting flyers like this (it was the flyer in the local butcher shop that led to finding my guy). Supermarkets usually have a board for ads and announcements like this. The bakeries and pharmacies are also good places to post. Also, just tack flyers up around the neighborhood where folks are likely to see them. Be sure to post in the local vet's offices and waiting rooms. (Once he is found, do go back and take down your signs - just a common courtesy IMO.) The vet may have other suggestions of groups you can contact.

Check the posters every week or so and renew them as necessary. We finally got a report on my cat after 7 weeks - and ultimately got him back safe and sound. Plus, I heard several stories from the local rescue groups of lost pets turning up or being found months later.

Actually, our donkeys went missing a few years back. Turned up the next day about 5 or 6 km away and were traced back to us through their previous owner. But tracking a pair of lost donkeys is a whole different exercise.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Try Pert Alert France PET ALERT FRANCE - Fondation 30 Millions d'Amis - under the umbrella of 30 Millions D'Amis. They will publish in your Departement (sometimes neighbouring ones as well) including via their Facebook page. They find a lot of lost animals, and a fair few lost owners. Many (most?) vets are signed up with them, at least some of whom hold the animals until the owners are found (and treat them as necessary).

Also call your nearest SPA.

Good luck - I hope she is soon found safe and sound and reunited with her owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What bevdeforges says is perfect.
I would also list on leboncoin. This site is a bit like flyers on the net,it is very localized

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the wonderful resources. Great news; they found their dog! I don't know how but I heard he was found far. It kind of makes sense because he disappeared the day after we had some lightning and thunder so he may have been scared.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thanks everyone for the wonderful resources. Great news; they found their dog! I don't know how but I heard he was found far. It kind of makes sense because he disappeared the day after we had some lightning and thunder so he may have been scared.
Great to hear!
:cheer2:

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Excellent news! Thanks for letting us know.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts