Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my carte de sejour going through customs at the Helsinki airport yesterday. I suspect that it is in the lost and found there but it will certainly be a very laborious process to get them to send it to me, and I need it right away. Does anybody know about the procedure for getting one replaced: how long it takes and how much it costs? Mine is for temporary work and expires at the end of october.

·
Administrator
50,381 Posts
To replace a lost or stolen identity document, you need to declare the loss and request a new one. Since your cds wasn't stolen, you will have to write out a declaration on your honor (in French), saying that you lost it and have been unable to find it. (Check first with the airport lost and found - it could actually be quicker to get it back that way if it was turned in.)

Go to the prefecture where you got the cds in the first place with your statement, passport, etc. and ask them for a replacement. It will take a couple weeks - or if they don't think it's worth replacing, they may be able to mark up your passport or give you a recippissé (receipt) that will get you through the rest of your stay.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! Is there a from for this declaration? I will probably try to get the old one back if possible, as I want to renew the one I have but change it from a work "titre" to a study one, which was going to cause enough trouble to begin with...

·
Administrator
50,381 Posts
Thanks! Is there a from for this declaration? I will probably try to get the old one back if possible, as I want to renew the one I have but change it from a work "titre" to a study one, which was going to cause enough trouble to begin with...
That's one peculiarity about France - for these "déclarations sur honneur" sorts of things, they prefer they be (1) handwritten and (2) kind of spontaneous. If you're into dictées (seriously), just go to the préfecture and ask them what you have to write to declare your cds lost. They'll dictate the text to you (and, I suspect, get great joy out of watching you struggle to write it down).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.