Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are in a different kind of situation. My wife is a Mexican National and is having to go back to Mexico by the end of this year. We are moving the family down to be with her. Just yesterday I got my temporary visa and menaje de casa paperwork all set up and stamped for approval.

Here's what's stressing us out. Our car is a 2016 KIA. My wife spoke to the Audante (spelling?) and they said the fees we would have to pay on the car and trailer I would be pulling across would not be worth it. They were talking a percentage of the original value of the car (since it's not part of NAFTA), and roughly 50% of trailer value.

We live in Kentucky and are heading to Chiapas.

So my questions to the community are these:

Would it be better for me to pack the stuff in a rental truck and haul to let's say Texas and hire a company to take it the rest of the way across the border and down to where we will be living?

Are there companies around (let's say again) Laredo that do the full transportation to the state of Chiapas or do you have to hire a Mexican based company on the Mexican side of the border to finish the hauling? Recommendations on a trustworthy company that does this?

-or-

Could I drive the rental to the border and have a Mexican based company meet and move the goods to Chiapas? Company recommendation and how you set it up?

Would it be easier to just pay the fees on the car and trailer and forgo companies altogether?

Anyone who has recently made this type of transition that would be willing to share what their cost was using moving companies and who would be trustworthy recommendations to use?

Thanks in advance for advice and input.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It depends on how much stuff you have to move. I'm not clear from your post on whether you are trying to move everything in the KIA or you're talking about towing the KIA behind a big moving van full of stuff or something in between.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We would have a 6x12 trailer filled. Washer/dryer, kids toys and books, personal paperwork, one bedroom set, tools, bicycles, clothes, and electronics.

·
Registered
712 Posts
A couple other questions - is the KIA titled in your name or your wife's name? Do you already own the trailer? Is your visa set up as a canje to residente temporale (RT) or residente permanente (RP)?

RT gives you more options in this case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The KIA is in my name. We would be getting a new trailer just before we close on the house. My Visa would be temporary to begin with and not transfer to permanent until a 3 year period they tell me.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Can a KIA pull a 6 X 12 loaded trailer to Chiapis ? Would it be the same car when it got there ?

It might be a better idea to find a lightly used trailer rather than a new one. We came to Mexico with a 5 X 8 trailer that was about a month old - the previous owner found it too small. If you do drive a trailer to Mexico - get locking lug nuts, get a couple of those wheel locks that prohibit the trailer moving, get a locking 'pin' - the gizmo that attaches ball to the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the 2016 KIA Sorent AWD has a tow capacity of 5K lbs. Main reason I got it. Space for the kids to grow and not torment each other and the towing I knew I would need. Not sure now if it is the best option.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Since you'll be on a RT, you are eligible to get a Temporary Import Permit for any car that you drive in. This option allows you to decouple your two problems - you need to move, and you can't permanently import the KIA because it's not a NAFTA car.

What you'd do is bring the KIA into mexico on a TIP. As long as you stay on a RT you can keep moving the TIP over to the new RT when the old RT expires, for up to 4 years. At the end of 4 years you must change from RT to RP (residente permanente). At that point, you're no longer allowed to have a car on a TIP. So before 4 years is up, you'd need to drive the KIA back to the US and sell it.

That gives you plenty of time to shop for and buy a replacement Mexican-plated car after your move. When you are ready to take the KIA back to the US you would drive it back and sell it, either in Texas or if you want to make it a visit back to Kentucky that's fine too, and then fly back to Mexico.

I'm a little unclear on the details of how the trailer works, some of the others here know better, but it's not really a big part of the problem. Just make sure that the titles for the KIA and the trailer are in your name (since you're the one on the RT) and that the names match exactly including your middle name(s) and you'll be able to get the TIP.

Doing it this way is more driving, but at least you'll be driving your own car and you won't have to unload/reload all your stuff, and it's by far the cheapest option. You'll lose money on the KIA vs being able to keep it for 10 years and drive it into the ground, but that's a lost cause or sunk cost at this point, it just wasn't the right car to buy in the first place if you had a move to Mexico in your future. Such is life.

If you stay on the RT for the full 4 years you can get quite a bit of good out of the KIA before selling it anyway.

Edit: clarification: the names on the car and trailer titles must match your name on your passport exactly, including middle names.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My advice: sell the KIA. You won't be able to keep a foreign plated car once you become Permanente.
Have a moving company bring your goods. There's SEYMI, based in Guadalajara, that I used, had my stuff crated beforehand at a moving and storage place in the U.S., and everything arrived in one piece. Since cost is based on weight, consider each item. Fly on down with the family, maybe rent a car until you find one that suits you and can handle the potholed roads. Stress could be reduced with that route.
Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yes, the 2016 KIA Sorent AWD has a tow capacity of 5K lbs. Main reason I got it. Space for the kids to grow and not torment each other and the towing I knew I would need. Not sure now if it is the best option.
We have a very similar Japanese vehicle. I would not want to have driven that here pulling the trailer we pulled.

I just threw "2016 KIA Sorent AWD" at google and it says the towing capacity is 3,500 lbs. I wonder if that is on level ground or mountainous terrain ? I have this image of that old Chevy Chase 'vacation' movie :)

More advice - get a new spare for the trailer. Have them install clips on the inside walls of the trailer so you can tie off sections, get a wheel which attaches to the 'joist' so you can wheel the trailer around by hand, and watch how you load the trailer. Our first night out I had to unload/reload the contents because it was not driving very well. One last thing... we set out on day one only to learn that none of the lights were working on the trailer. Turns out they had given us a bad adapter for the car-to-trailer connection (even though it was brand new).

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Note that the car and trailer, when temporarily imported into Mexico, become a single unit. The car may not leave Mexico without the trailer. Finding a place to store a trailer can be a problem too.
Best to sell, or otherwise dispose of all you can and keep the move as simple as possible. Maybe even just leave your stuff in storage in the USA, until you have flown or taken a bus to your new Mexican location, rented or bought a place and installed basic furnishings. Then, with the proper Mexican documentation of your status, residency, CURP, RFC, etc., you will be able to buy and register a vehicle in your new state. Then, with or without a trailer, you might pick up your stuff in the USA at your convenience......There are options. Crossing the border with a Mexican plated vehicle is much simpler than with a US plated vehicle.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I know this is not the company line (yet potentially SO important) - are my wife and I the ONLY people who have successfully nationalized a car (and trailer) within Mexico while on RP ? Or are we the only people who didn't mind the expense (seeing as we were very familiar with the vehicles) ?

·
Registered
712 Posts
My advice: sell the KIA. You won't be able to keep a foreign plated car once you become Permanente.
Have a moving company bring your goods. There's SEYMI, based in Guadalajara, that I used, had my stuff crated beforehand at a moving and storage place in the U.S., and everything arrived in one piece. Since cost is based on weight, consider each item. Fly on down with the family, maybe rent a car until you find one that suits you and can handle the potholed roads. Stress could be reduced with that route.
Good luck and welcome!
Yeah, it depends on how tight finances are. This is a much less troublesome and much more expensive route. If in doubt, get an estimate for the cost of the move and a bid from a dealer on the KIA to see how much you'll lose there - if it's 1 year old and you have a loan on it you're probably under water on the loan so selling the KIA will cost you on top of the move.

Consider also whether you're going to be able to get service and spare parts for a KIA in Mexico.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 4 cyl. Sorento only has 3.5k towing. We have the 6 cyl. with tow package, hill assist, and trans cooler. I did a ton of research before buying, but I totally understand the concern. (Didn't mean to turn this into a car forum..hehe) We were planning on getting at least two spare tires for the trailer, and 2 gas cans to fill up after crossing the border so we wouldn't end up needing gas at a less than desireable area if this is the route we end up taking.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There are possibly more KIA's in our area than Nissan Tsuru's.
Good, I had no idea, that's why I just said "consider". I thought if it wasn't a NAFTA car there might be issues.

Horseshoe: If he brings the KIA in on a TIP, can he begin the nationalization process here without having to drive it back?

If he did the nationalization as a part of the move, would that mean a multi-day or multi-week holdup at the border while the importer does their thing?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts