Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago, I decided to switch to Free as my mobile provider, received my shiny new SIM card and promptly lost it. The problem is that I lost the card before even getting the chance to register it on their site, and as far as I can see (based on my very limited knowledge of French) I'm in a catch-22 situation. Their support site says that if I lost my SIM card I need to order a new card from my Espace Abonne. However it seems such higher functions are not available until I actually register my SIM card (that I do not have). When calling their short support number 3244 I just get to listen to some announcement in French which I do not understand - no options to press some keys and no option to get to a human operator if you wait long enough - my best guess is that I'm not calling from a Free mobile phone (because I don't have the SIM card).

Has anyone got into such situation or perhaps sees something very obvious that I'm missing?

·
Administrator
51,989 Posts
One option is to simply hang loose for a while. If the SIM doesn't get registered after a certain period of time, they'll have to assume it's lost and either contact you or cancel the SIM and wait for you to try again.

Actually, I think I vaguely remember from when I signed up with Free that there is an option on the page where you are supposed to register your SIM for something like "I still haven't gotten my SIM, what do I do next?" Because the login sequence is a little bit different after you've registered the SIM, so you're still in the "pre-registration" phase.

Do you still have the letter they sent you with the SIM, or is the whole mailing lost? You can actually register your SIM with just the information on the letter.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I lost the whole package. I checked the pages available in my client space (all four of them) and between my rudimentary French and Google translate I don't see anything about losing/not receiving a SIM. It has been about two months since I registered so if they ever decide something is not right with my subscription, it might take a few more months (nothing seems to be done fast in France).

Sort of OT, but has anyone here used Free for their home internet? Thoughts?
I've been using it for some time, no problems beyond the need to reset the freebox occasionally. The speed is less than stellar - about 1.5 Mbyte/s at good time and it can go down to 0.5 or so at peak times, but it has more to do with the fact that Free has to use ADSL if the house has only phone lines for connection - no other provider will get better speed here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.